[Sovled] W10 Tablet Portrait Issue.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by ZaForD, Aug 17, 2015.

1. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    #1 ZaForD, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
    Hey Guys,

I've got a 'Bush' 8" Tablet here, that has 'Portrait (flipped)' as its default setting.
    I've tried using W8.1 and W10 drivers from WU and W10 drivers which work for the HP Stream7, but it still defaults to 'Portrait (flipped)'. :confused:

Anyone know of some Bush W10 sensor drivers or of a Reg setting to change the default to 'Portrait' like on the HP.

And before some smartarse says 'Turn it upside down' :p
    It won't work as which ever way up the tablet is the portrait screen in upside down. :doh:

2. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    If it uses the same drivers as the stream the orientation key should be in the same location as on the stream. The best advice I cam give you is to restore it to 8 and extract the key.

3. taviruni

taviruni MDL Senior Member

May 8, 2010
    Well as I see it only option is to walk on the ceiling.

4. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    I searched through the reg and found a few keys that looked promising, but changing them made no difference. :(
    I'll roll back to W8.1 tomorrow and extract the sensor drivers. See if I can see any difference between them and the HP drivers.

@taviruni, Standing on my head worked for a while, but the dog started to pay me to much attention. :eek:

5. taviruni

taviruni MDL Senior Member

May 8, 2010
    Now seriously:

Maybe if you put your device in a flat surface, screen looking up, and using a miror to let you see the screen right way, you can find where gravity sensor is, and disabling it at least the screen is going to remain in a fixed orientation, and maybe you can use now it if you Turn it upside down.

Best Regards

6. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    #6 bk109, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
    @OP
    Doesn't the tablet retain the orientation setting from the Intel Control Panel (Display/Orientation) or Settings>Display (uncheck auto-rotation) and whatever orientation you want? I know it's not ideal,but until you find a driver that works ... ;)
    Edit: I googled around to find more about the device,as Bush is one of the Argos brands and as far as I can tell,this bugger is an E FUN Nextbook 8 for which i couldn't find any (even semi) legit driver support site. If you're feeling adventurous,you might want to try the Intel Platform Drivers from the Miix 3-830 or the Venue 8 Pro (3000-series more or less fits the specs).

7. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Yeah, its still there and works, but gets over ridden by the rotation sensors as soon as the tablet moves. Locking the screen is the best solution so far, although its a PITA switching back and forth when I connect to a big screen.

Yeah, that's the one :) I got it just to mess with W10 but I've gotta say its a great little tablet. Its a nice size, has nice weight, more connectors (Micro HDMI) than the more expensive HP Stream7 and is quicker to start from a cold boot too. :cool:
    But, watch out though, the one Argos is selling now is not as good. :weep:

I had the same trouble finding info and drivers for it. But I've had a few tablets come though here for testing and all the 'Cheap' ones have the same internals and use the same drivers. (I've extracted and compared them)

Its the orientation drivers that are causing the issue, but they aren't OEM their from MS and are called 'Simple Device Orientation Sensor' in W8.1 which wok fine, in W10 its been updated and are called 'SDO Sensor V2' and depending on which drivers you use, either defaults to Portrait (flipped) as above or is 90* out i.e shows Landscape instead of Portrait, Portrait (flipped) instead of Landscape, Landscape (flipped) instead of Portrait (flipped) and lastly Portrait instead of Landscape (flipped)

I can't get the W8.1 version to install on W10 as it says its not signed. And I've not found any settings in the Reg that helps either. :(

@taviruni,
    Half of your solution works. If I put the tablet down on a flat surface 'Face Down' It doesn't bother me at all. :p

8. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
  9. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Is it a Kionix sensor? I had to bring a registry value forward from 8.1 on my Toshiba Encore Mini. I can't make sense of the data but I'll check where it's located.

10. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Thanks mate, I'll give a try ;)

Yeah, this seems to like its becoming a big issue, theres a lot of people moaning about it in the Insiders/Feedback hubs, as well as the MS forums.
    Strange thing is I don't remember seeing this problem in the preview builds :confused:

I'm thinking of going back and trying a couple of them again.

11. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    I think the Kionix sensor and the SDOv2 sensor work together, as disabling either disables the orientation controls in settings. Plus the W10 and W8.1 Kionix drivers appear to be the same (1.0.13.20)

And confusingly I have the same drivers and reg settings on a HP Stream7 and that works fine. :confused:

12. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    #12 Bezalel, Aug 21, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    This is for a Kionix sensor on a Toshiba Encore Mini. It should give you a staring point as far as what to extract from 8.1. These fixed (IIRC) my upside-down in landscape issue

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ROOT\SENSOR\0000\Device Parameters\kxfusion]
    "Orientation"=hex:01,00,01,01,00,01,02
    Note: I typed this in so there is a remote possibility of a typo.

13. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    One of them has the sensor mounted on the other side of the PCB.

14. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    Sounds likely,I managed to get KitKat (sorta) running on a Lenovo Miix 8-incher an' I'm getting the 90 degree shift :D Either way,as long as the reg fix has some effect,if just becomes a matter of nailing down the values for that particular device :)

15. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    #15 ZaForD, Aug 21, 2015
    (OP)
    Could be, I was thinking it was upside down till I got the 90* issue with the older drivers.

I'd love to go the other way and have W10 running on the Nexus 7 :cool:

Any road, Thanks to you guys its fixed now and I have a Bush 8" Tablet which knows which way is up. :worthy:

Just in case someone else has this issue heres the settings for the tablets I've got there:

Bush 8" Tablet, Linux 7, Linux 8, Tesco Connect 8"
    Code:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\R OOT\SENSOR\0000\Device Parameters\kxfusion]
    "Orientation"=hex:01,01,00,00,01,01,02 
    HP Stream 7
    Code:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\ROOT\SENSOR\0000\Device Parameters\kxfusion]
    "Orientation"=hex:01,00,01,00,00,00,02
    Toshiba Encore Mini. (from Bezalel above)
    Code:

"Orientation"=hex:01,00,01,01,00,01,02
    I also have two 8" tablets by ASUS and Lenovo here, but they are using an 'InvenSense' sensor not the 'Kionix' and don't have this reg setting.

16. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    #16 bk109, Aug 21, 2015
    Glad to hear that you've got things up and running - as for the Nexus,I don't think it'll be as good a fit as having Android on a BT Windows tablet as you'll be limited only to windows store apps. Going the other way gives you pretty much the entire Windows software catalogue + Windows apps + Android with its own ecosystem (plus ARM emulation on Intel chips has gotten great these days,so even stuff that's targeting ARM runs great). Plus.. I'm spoiled by the Surface Pro (my 3 has a triple-boot of Windows + Lollipop + Mint and it handles all three like a champ :))

17. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    #17 Bezalel, Aug 21, 2015
    What is the best way to add hex values to the registry in Windows PE? The "reg add" doesn't seem to support hex and "reg import" requires a separate .reg file. So far I've been using "reg add" but I don't know how to get this value added (my goal is to have the fewest files).

Maybe I need to change from this:
    Code:
    :: %Manufacturer% and %Model% environment variables are set earlier in this script from DMI tables

if exist "%Manufacturer%.bat" call "%Manufacturer%.bat"
    if exist "%Model%.bat" call "%Model%.bat"

:: for Goodix touchscreens
    if exist TouchSetting.%Model% copy TouchSetting.%Model% W:\Windows\inf\TouchSetting.gt
    to this:
    Code:
    :: %Manufacturer% and %Model% environment variables are set earlier in this script from DMI tables

if exist "%Manufacturer%.bat" call "%Manufacturer%.bat"
    if exist "%Model%.bat" call "%Model%.bat"

reg load HKLM\SW W:\windows\system32\config\software
    reg load HKLM\SYS W:\windows\system32\config\system
    if exist "%Manufacturer%.reg" reg import "%Manufacturer%.reg"
    if exist "%Model%.reg" reg import "%Model%.reg"
    reg unload HKLM\SW
    reg unload HKLM\SYS

:: for Goodix touchscreens
    if exist TouchSetting.%Model% copy TouchSetting.%Model% W:\Windows\inf\TouchSetting.gt

18. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    @Bezalel,
    That's way past my skill level mate, wouldn't where to start with that one. :eek:
    But, if it helps I was going to end the reg settings on the bottom of the OEM Info reg I have for the Bush.

@bk109,
    LOL, I didn't think that much about it.
    Was going on more along the lines of W10 is nice, the Nexus 7 (2013) is nice, they could be really nice together. :)

19. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    #19 Bezalel, Sep 11, 2015
    Here's another one for your collection. This one is from a NextBook/Yifang 10.1 (from Walmart):

Code:

"Orientation"=hex:01,01,01,01,00,00,02

20. Bezalel

Bezalel MDL Member

Apr 30, 2012
    #20 Bezalel, Mar 14, 2016
    I did a fresh install of 1511-1 on my Toshiba Encore Mini and let the tablet find drivers from Windows Update. Apparently these have a different default orientation than the ones Toshiba shipped. Using brute force (but leaving a 2 in the last position) I found that the following value gets the orientation correct:

Code:

"Orientation"=hex:00,01,00,01,01,00,02
    I'm taking notes as to what each value does and so far it seems that the 1st and 6th number have no visible effect.

There are 8 ways to mount the sensor (parallel to the screen) so in theory only 3 bits should be needed.

Update: Ignoring the 1st, 6th, and 7th byte, I brute forced the remaining 4 bytes. Of the 16 possible values 7 of them changed the orientation (each unique) and 9 of them did nothing. I don't see any meaningful bitmask.

Update 2:

I'm beginning to see some patterns, the 3rd and 5th byte are always different.