Spam/Telemarketer Calls (How do I Stop)

Discussion in 'Serious Discussion' started by BrokenDaily, Nov 17, 2017.

1. BrokenDaily

BrokenDaily MDL Junior Member

Jun 14, 2017
    About 4 months ago in july, I believe I put my entire family on the national do not call registry (all of us are android cell users), because **** telemarketers and spam callers, I don't need to change my phone service (and if I do, ill do it in person, not on the phone/web) or any other bullcrap; problem is, I still get spam calls. Now what this link tells me here is if I believe that these calls still happen, and if under the correct circumstances, I can report them to the FTC, but the thing is, I think some of these numbers are spoofed (meaning they use other cell numbers to hide their real landline/telemarket/whatever numbers). Reason being one number tried calling me (I didn' hear it so it rang out), and I msg'd it, thinking it was a landline and therefore no reply, but I did get one, and despite thinking (oh they're lying, they know) I believed them when they said they had no idea what was going on; trying some online phone tracing websites (at least the part before they tell you "buy a subscription to see the rest of the info") showed a few of these numbers being cell numbers, and others from basic home phones; Mr.Number does nothing to block the calls still coming through, and im worried some of the numbers I block might end up being used by legitimate people/businesses, and they not being able to contact me would imply (if im doing business with them currently, for example) that I don't care and **** off. I don't want to be rude then

What process must I take to ensure this stops (beyond never answering any call, because some might be legit), what legal recourse as a consumer can I afford, because im tired of this ****; also, I use Mr.Number, and these calls still happen; is there ANYTHING better than Mr.Number, and I mean in every aspect of blocking unwanted calls, because if this alternate app means I have to pay for it, then I will, but free would also be nice (and preferred)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    No way to stop it other than a whitelist call app that only accepts calls from your contacts, or install something like True Caller
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.truecaller&hl=en_GB

Got my number on the telephone preference service too and still get spam calls, my phone tells me they are spam before I answer though, and then I just add that number to my block list

3-4 calls a month still get through, game of cat and mouse, it'll never be stopped 100%

The day they stop spam emails is the day they stop spam calls

3. JFKI

JFKI MDL Expert

Oct 25, 2015
  4. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    other than never again use a phone...is almost impossible sense telemarketers just like scammers have the ability now to spoof their numbers....yes like posted above u can try a few of the blocking apps that are out their....the problem is sometimes does apps block a lot of the numbers that u need to come in....good luck

5. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    Ultimate spoofing: One day my brother got a call, checked the caller I.D. (as always), and saw his own phone number displayed. It's happened several times since then. How on earth can they do that?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    The same thing happened to me on my Land line phone, I just blocked it too & keep it blocked.
    I generally get around 4-5 telemarketers/spam phone calls a day, sometimes they are persistent & try 3x from the same #.

My land line phone has a 250 phone # blocking feature & I record them on a spreadsheet w/ the month & year so as I unblock them (when getting close to 250 #'s blocked) I will remove the earliest #'s first.

7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Several times I've had Microsoft call me to tell me I'm destroying the interwebs because I'm spreading viruses! I try to keep them on the phone for as long as I can because I figure if they are wasting their time with me, then they are not scamming somebody more gullible. Eventually they get mad and hang up after about a half hour. They stopped calling me

8. an0n107

an0n107 MDL Novice

Nov 22, 2017
    I got rid of my landline and only have a private mobile, only get Government political robocalls once every election year but that's about it