Speaker Mystery

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by jetjock, Oct 25, 2012.

1. jetjock

jetjock MDL Senior Member

Mar 6, 2010
    I have Logitech Z-680 5.1 surround speakers powered by an Intel DX58SO MB, on-board sound processor. When I use the Logitech speaker "test" function, I get sound from all 5 speakers plus the SW in the appropriate order. However, when I test using the Realtech HD Audio Manager, all I get are the two front speakers. I went to YouTube and tried a 5.1 sound test program and I got the two front speakers and SW normally, but when the center speaker was supposed to play, both front speakers played and when the left and right rear speakers were supposed to play the left and right front speakers played instead.

I have tried rearranging the plugs into the computer with no luck. I even rolled back the Realtech driver which didn't work either. Since the Logitech test function plays the correct speaker, I must assume that they are all wired correctly.

Does anyone have a clue as to what could be causing this? Any suggestions will be appreciated. :confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. gabris[LT]

gabris[LT] MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2010
    haha Realtek first of all not realtech... :D
    had problems with them also.. :) try to select manually what does each output and check if it finds you speakers ;) from where did you download driver? from mobo/lappy manufactrer or generic from realtek?

3. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    I'm not sure what you mean by "select manually". When I use the Realtek HD Audio Manager (which is the only way I know of to access the speakers, other than with Logitech's "test" function), I click on each speaker. As I said, only the two front speakers respond. When using the YouTube test video I get what is stated above.

The driver was downloaded by "Driver Genius Pro" so I don't know where it gets drivers from. Is it possible to remove the Realtek driver and use a different one with a built in sound processor? I would prefer having a separate sound card but I don't think I have room for another card.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. gabris[LT]

gabris[LT] MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2010
    #4 gabris[LT], Oct 26, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
    those programs can pick and install wrong driver.... I had few PCs which had driver problems which caused BSODs and other drive failures .... from then I prefer installing all drivers manually from manufacturers site(computer/part manufacturer) not chip manufacturer... unless I want to play around with driver and I have restore point or system backup in case something would go terribly wrong ;)
    AND as far as I remember realtek control panel shows what is connected to its inputs/outputs, check that, sorry I have no realtek card around so I can't tell you more :)

5. jetjock

Mar 6, 2010
    Problem solved. Replaced the analog cables with an optical and now all is well. Many thanks for the responses. :)