Specific problem with fonts in one application since 1703.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Nid, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Nid

Nid MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2018
    #1 Nid, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Hi, first post here. Great forum!
    I believe you can help me with this font issue since I've read similar posts here but still can not solve my own issue which is very specific to one app. This is Samplitude and it is a music production app. Of course I've asked help from the company but they seem incapable to help.

From Win 10 64bit 1703 and ever after there are some fonts on the "mixer" window that get small and blurry. Very difficult to see and work with. After lots of investigation I noticed the following:

I subscribed to Windows Insider to get fast ring Insider builds. I notice that every time directly after a new Insider Build update is finished, Samplitude fonts are normal (big and clear). After the first sign out (or restart) they get again small and blurry and they stay like that forever (or until the next windows build update). This has also been happening with the public major updates 1703 and 1709. There is some setting that windows change after every build update and change again after the first sign out and it affects the Samplitude mixer fonts. I upload screenshots of before the sign out (normal) and after the sign out (problematic). You can clearly see there what and how is being changed. Other text in Samplitude or anywhere in the whole OS (as far as I've noticed) is not altered. I've also taken note by screenshots of some registry values that have to do with Cleartype, screen settings, etc. There is absolutely no change in any of these values (I can provide details if needed). It is NOT a scaling issue. The way the text is problematically rendered stays unchanged with any other scaling percentage and even with no scaling (100%). The scaling setting has no effect on this issue (and I do sign out after scaling setting changes).

If you can pinpoint something somewhere... Thank you!

1_before.png 1_after.png

2. Nid

Nid MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2018
    Bump... Fonts that are getting smaller and blurry, doesn't remind you of anything...?

3. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Nid

Nid MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2018
    Thanks but this changes the various Windows text sizes but nothing in the mixer of this app. I actually used changesize.exe but i guess that's exactly the same. There has to be smth with the way this app renders its fonts on that window (the mixer).

5. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Nid

Nid MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2018
    Thanks but how exactly do you think this New Fonts Page can help? And BTW is this something observed in other applications as well? (after CU 1703)

7. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #7 lobo11, Jan 30, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
  8. Nid

Nid MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2018
    Not a laptop. I have this issue in two different desktop PCs and ever after CU 1703. One has an AMD HD 6800 and the other a Nvidia GT1030. I also tried interchanging the cards between them but there was no change. Also it doesn't get affected by any scaling setting or even with no scaling. A few other PCs I use the same software on don't have this issue. The only thing perhaps of significance I can say about the two affected PCs is that they are both older than 2010. How this can affect things I don't know, just saying. The other PCs are i7 gens of after 2016.

I still believe the answer lies somewhere to the fact that after every windows build update gets finished it is ok and after the first sign out/restart again the same story...

9. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
  10. Nid

Nid MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2018
    Come on...no. The GT1030 can not be considered a too old card. The m/b is the Asus P5E with a Intel Quad Core Processor, this is kind of old but how could this be related to specific fonts in a specific app?!

11. k2kn

k2kn MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2010
    need to know which font is in use then compare if it changed between updates

12. Nid

Nid MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2018
    Only the company knows this... I will try to ask which font it is... In any case, if I find this out then where should I look for any changes? Registry?

13. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Email company of software you have, tell them what OS you are on, which video card, ask them which driver you should be using.

14. Nid

Nid MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2018
    Of course I've done so... They seem unable or unwilling to help.

15. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #16 lobo11, Feb 4, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    Have you tried uninstalling program then rebooting, then reinstall program, I know it's a hassle but maybe it will work, you may find out that it came with a driver that works, and then on another reboot you may find out MS is their Godlike wisdom has changed the driver which makes it not work correctly. Then I would install Windows Update Minitool in my Sig, I can tell you how to set it up where it lists all patches and drivers and you select which you want to hide or install. WUMT is pretty neat, I've used it since it came out, I have mine set to notification mode where nothing is installed, plays a sound when new updates are ready to be installed, you then run WUMT and select what you wish to install, hide the rest, down the road if you want to install a driver or update that you hid, you can do that too:p

Might even have to run it in compatibility mode-your program, not WUMT

16. Nid

Nid MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2018
  17. k2kn

k2kn MDL Novice

Oct 10, 2010
    a company name like MAGIX does not give me confidence, but you're not supposed to remove all windows fonts, how is anything anywhere supposed to display?

you could copy all fonts from before the update, then paste them after updating, first without overwriting to see if new (aka old) fonts get added

fonts can be guessed or identified, it's much easier if you increase the screen dpi for this

18. Nid

Nid MDL Novice

Jan 28, 2018
    Yes it was a crude and desperate action...

Afterwards I found a torrent with the font collection of one the first windows 10 builds from 2015 and I found the following repeatable pattern: Copy all fonts to the windows/fonts, overwriting all that are the same. Running the app, fonts look good! After first restart/sign out and again they revert back to that other font which is small and blurry... If they at last tell me which font it is then I can at least copy (overwrite) that one only, as a temp fix. I guess this way the font is practically re-registered and for that reason it works. After sign out it gets unregistered again or blocked from access for some reason that only MS knows. Why in at least two other PCs with the same Win 10 build version this is not happening, is still unexplained.

Magix is a German company with long history with media production software, Samplitude/Sequoia one of them. A few years ago they acquired Vegas and Sound Forge from Sony. This should mean that they are doing well. Still they have always had terrible support. Ultra slow responses or even no responses. And no presence in their user forums.

19. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012