speech or MP3 to text...advice, please ??

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by smallhagrid, Feb 23, 2017.

1. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    #1 smallhagrid, Feb 23, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    Howdy Folks.
    As an older man who is hearing impaired and also unable to type much due to other illnesses, being able to speak to make text (files) would really help me alot.

I've got a wifi-only Android phone right at my desk, and my older PC too.
    That leaves me with limited options as I cannot run really heavy-duty or very new stuff.

I've found many possibilities some payware, some freeware, some adware.
    The well-known ones like Dragon are huge, need heavy-duty h/w and I cannot afford anything like that anyhow.

It would be great if I could just speak into the mic & have it go right into a plain text file somehow, even if it has to be into the phone & then somehow shared over to the PC.

For Android, there's one called 'Speechkeys Smart Voice Typing' Android app, as well as Dragon Mobile Assistant, Voice PRO, Big Buttons Keyboard Deluxe, and lots & lots of others - but have no idea what may actually work well without spending days & days trying out every single one !?!

I'd rather not have google in the middle of my transcriptions & see that most Android apps for this use the big g in the background.

It is very confusing how to find or choose what to do this with so I'll greatly appreciate any help anyone may provide in guiding me to getting this ability, please.

My exact queries, please:
    Is there any 'best' app or combo of apps for doing what I need ??

How may I create via speaking, save & share text files to the PC using some app ??

Is there any way to do this without google being in the middle ??

Thanks for any helpful replies.

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Just google for: voice recognition software free, and you'll get some useful information, helping you get what you're looking for!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    #3 smallhagrid, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    (OP)
    Woof.

Thanks...:
    I only posted here after searching many times using those and many other search terms.
    This has been looked into over - well - years already actually.

Yes, there's lots of options - and as I posted in the OP, it is how to make them work together with what I have that seems to be the problem I need to solve.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    It's simply YOU who have to test the different solutions.

A simple fact is, other MAYBE could test on THEIR system using THEIR internet connections/ISP's etc., what in many occasions wouldn't apply to YOUR system etc.! I'm sorry for your disability, I'm really be, but I couldn't do that work for you, which would cost me a lot of time, which I didn't have, and on the end of the day, what may works for me, wouldn't work for you ever! See the reality!

Do you really think that you could expect that other would do such testing, ending up in getting complaints, heated discussion's and more, for something which they never need to use for their own? I don't think so! I've done such twice for disabled humans, and ended up both time in a lot of trouble! And again, the simple fact is, everything you need, you could find on the Internet simply on your own, and it's simply up to you taking the time to get the required information for to do the work using your own power. If you'd problems with such software etc., the appropriate action if you ask for help over the Internet, would be to post ALL relevant infos (and I mean all) and ask very specific questions.

Users on MDL, which providing help to others, doing so on their free (and also valuable) time for free! Those who helping are NOT employees of this website and forum and didn't get paid in any means. They using their own system, their own (paid) Internet and so on for providing such help! That help is mainly given for to help you to find your way to help yourself!
    And another simple fact is, we didn't know what REALLY is going on on your System, Computer, Location etc.which may is true or may not! That's part and Reality of the anonymity of the Internet and Cyber World!

Good Luck.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. leebo_28

leebo_28 MDL Senior Member

Jun 12, 2011

note the word experience in my reply..if you don't have anything to contribute (which you rarely do) STFU!! My apologies to the Mods , but I'm getting tired of these idiotic answers to someone seeking legitimate help

6. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    @smallhagrid: As someone who has done research in the area of speech recognition, I have to agree with leebo_28 and say that Dragon is the best tool for the job.

As with any speech recognition system, you'll have to train it.

Good luck.

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Seems to be that you didn't have read the OP and understand!

Expensive apps, like Dragon and other, the OP couldn't afford, he just want apps for free. Proven Apps, like Google's own, the OP didn't like/want! Read Port #3!

OK, that's simply up to the OP, to get thing free and to the best even the problem solving, just, I'm thinking other!, Any wrong with that? For an Orphanage of disabled Kid, I do the Computer services for free with my company for years now, and like to do that! I just didn't like that behavior to let do the work from others at no cost, just for free, because it's more easy then to do on own power!

I don't mind what you think about me, we're 'playing' here at the Cyber World in anonymity, with no boundaries, with a lot of lies and bad behavior around, showing no-existing knowledge, and, and, and, well know, nothing could be proven if the user deny to do so! And even then, there's never any chance to really know the truth, as long as that's 'played' on the Internet! Working for years on Forum, include as Administrator and Moderator, I was get just a few Users to knows as very honest and the truth telling!

Have a nice weekend!

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Yes, Dragon is just the best! Just it's quite expensive Payware!

9. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    The link that leebo_28 is a basic system for $22.95 USD. That comes to 21,73 Euro, which comes to 800.04 Thai Baht.
    Since I don't know smallhagrid's country of origin, I converted the price into the 3 countries relevant to our conversation.

@smallhagrid, pisthai: I fully understand that each country has it's standards with regard to what's affordable. Please tell me if the price mentioned above is very expensive with regards to your country.

:)

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #11 pisthai, Feb 25, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
    23 US$ are about THB 800.- which is about a 2.5 day income of a normal Thai Worker! That's why Software is mainly pirated in Thailand!

Answer that your question?!

Or as a other example: the daily food for the Kids in that Orphanage, is THB 35 (equal to US$ 1.00)!

Don't know about the country of the OP! Just the OP wrote that he couldn't afford!

11. Michaela Joy

Jul 26, 2012
    @pisthai: Thank you for answering. Many of us do not realize how difficult others have it, or how good we have it.

You've given me another reason (I have many) to be thankful for where I am and what I have.

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Thanks for that post! You're one of the most honest members of MDL, what couldn't be said from many others, special those claiming to be very knowledgeable!

Have a nice weekend!

13. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
  14. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
    Thanks for the replies that were very helpful (rather than snarky and/or argumentative...).

My goal in posting the query here was to gain advice from others' experiences - hoping very much that some others had already examined the area & idea in question & would have therefore already known what might be best to use.

Budget-wise what I noticed immediately was the very high priced products, very outside my reach.
    In the past I had been gifted with and tried IBM's product and even after the work of its extensive training it was terrible - never usable - and removed.

Since I need to do some writing very soon this subject opened again for me.
    Typing is quite literally painful as well as very slow work for me - and so I spent a couple of days looking into whatever options I could find for Linux, windows and Android in hopes of solving this dilemma BEFORE posting to ask about it.

As it happens, I was able to find out that the main difference in versions of the Dragon product is whether it can use bluetooth or not - unimportant for me, so:
    For all of $11.96 (USD) I was able to get the home version of Dragon Naturally Speaking, which should arrive here in a few days.

Since they also have a free product for Android I may be able to use that as well - but have not as yet tried it.

My sincerest appreciation goes out to Leebo_28, Michaela Joy, and Tiger-1 for your kind and helpful thoughts.

In closing - and without intending offense, but instead for the sake of clarity I say only this much:
    If a house has an infestation of fruitflies, they may be caught in a trap made with vinegar and will actually drown themselves thereby.

Given that I am not a fruitfly, have no desire to drown - and that I did not post here seeking such sourness - I can only add that being outwardly pleasant and helpful towards others is what seems to work best in such a public forum.

Thanks Folks.
    I will post back here with any further findings I may have.

15. smallhagrid

smallhagrid MDL Addicted

Sep 14, 2013
  16. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    ^^
    yep dude I remember that several years ago in times of Windows 2000 or XP myself start using speech recognition for long long time alone maybe funny but is serious my neighbors think that I'm completely crazy because I stay several hours a day speaking english alone in front my DX4 486 and I can learn a lot of things, using Windows media player, opening, closing, changing music etc same thing when working with Office I ever love how Windows understand me so I make several jobs ALWAYS using speech recognition & internet also today I don't know how speech works but trust me I make a big search and hope help you in some form I can try contact Mr. Philips and see something for you then wait and soon I return with some news ok. in time I'm one poor man and consequentely completely autodidact.