split Office 2010 Pro Plus iso into two

Discussion in 'Microsoft Office' started by stayboogy, Aug 6, 2011.

1. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    I've got Office 2010 Pro Plus that I've converted to VL using channel switcher and the iso that was produced is just barely larger than a regular cd-r and I do not want to waste a dvd for it. Is there any way that I can split the image into two iso files so that I can write it to two cd-r discs? will it ask for the second disc when I install it?

2. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    How much larger is your ISO compared to a standard 700MB CD? If it isn't too much larger, you could always enable Overburning / Oversizing just for that particular recording and spare even the 2nd CD...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    please explain how that is done because i've never heard of such a thing

4. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    Why not just give answer to his question first? If it is more then a few MB overburning is most likely impossible.

5. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    #5 x86, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
    It's nothing special really - not at least if you use UltraISO. You just have to click on the Burn Image icon (on the toolbar) and then click Browse to locate your ISO. Then, it will automatically pop-up a message saying that the image is larger than the destination media and asks you a confirmation of whether you want to Overburn. You just say YES / Continue (can't remember out of the top of my head) and it records the disc. Simple.

Had to do one just a few days ago. In my case I wrote few video files (4.9GB total) into a standard 4.7GB DVD. i.e. 4.7GB is approximately 4474MB. I thought it would be problematic, but I was wrong. DVD was 100% error free ;)

Still, if its a one-off installation, I d consider doing what acrsn suggested; extract the ISO into a flashdrive or use a Virtual Drive to mount and install from there (i.e. UltraISO also has built-in support for this...)

@ FreeStyler - I am aware I deviated from his original question; just thought to recommend what would be quicker :eek: Besides he said that the ISO is barely larger than a regular CD...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    first off, it is x64 office 2010 pro plus VL iso that is 768mb. i'm installing it on another's laptop and he wants the backup disc should anything happen.

i'm not pc illiterate and could easily put it on a flash drive and mount with a virtual drive, but that's not what is needed. no offense, and i do appreciate everyone trying to help, but don't suggest me something i'm not looking for as that wastes my time and yours.

the person i'm installing for is not pc literate, they will not know how to use virtual drives or anything else for that matter and i do not want to have to do this for them every time it is needed.

therefore the hard copy is what is needed. if it was otherwise i would have asked if i actually needed the help which i generally wouldn't...

so again, still wondering what goes into splitting the image and getting it to ask for disc 2 at install, and if it is possible at all.

thanks.

7. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    #7 x86, Aug 6, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
    No offence taken at all; it was a risk I had to take since I am the one who deviated from your actual question (and I explained why).

So, I will start off with your initial question; I am not aware of such a tool as I haven't had the need to use it. As you said, the installation setup needs to know where the data is, since it assumes a single disc as a source in most cases. This is a rather delicate matter and even if there was such a software, I would be somewhat reluctant to use it...

Back to overburning / oversizing. I don't think that its good as a general practise to oversize / overburn discs, as in some cases, error correction is affected (i.e. since data is 'squeezed' into the media tracks) and sometimes, optical drives might have difficulty reading such oversized media.

768mb is actually a lot to try and squeeze into an 80min (~703MB) CD. If your recording software has a Simulate Write option, I would give it a try (i.e. so that you won't waste a CD if it goes wrong). Alternative, if you live close to a Computer Shop, you could grab a 90min CD media which is approximately 791MB and that is a perfect fit for your image - without having to oversize.

Hope I have been helpful, but if not - my apologies - as I genuinely tried to be ;)

8. stayboogy

stayboogy MDL Addicted

May 1, 2011
    well, thank you anyway, and yeah you've been a help seeing as i've never heard or overburning :biggrin:

well, time to waste 3 whole GB of a dvd i guess. no pc shops anywhere near here. no decent electronics store either :(