Srv2019 DNS setup woes

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by TheSkaffer, Apr 28, 2022.

1. TheSkaffer

TheSkaffer MDL Senior Member

May 16, 2010
    #1 TheSkaffer, Apr 28, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2022
    Yes. I know. There are thousands of guides and I do have 5-6 dedicated windows server books with each of them having 5-50 pages handling DNS setup and configuration, but I am not really translating a lot of that in to my scenario.

Let me explain what I do get. (This is not a DC)
    - FQDN has been determined and using .local as domain suffix.
    - have a DHCP LAN with range 192.168.1.1/24 on a Mikrotik Router, not using any static addressing on Router
    - static ip for my WinSrv, being a requirement, at 192.168.1.51 currently
    - have installed DNS Role on Server and setup a Forward Rule

What I don't get is how to associate the DNS entry with IP addresses on my network

Attached Files:

2. it couldn’t be worse. use a real domain (or subdomain) or a fictional domain suffixed with home.arpa.

The first picture shows that you already have 2 records (1x SOA, needed for every domain and 1x NS record, optional). You’ll need to create A records which maps a domain name to an IPv4 address. Right-click in the window with the 2 records and create a new record with type A (AAAA for IPv6 addresses) and enter the name name and IP address. That’s it, you’ll now have an domain name mapped to an IP address.

3. TheSkaffer

May 16, 2010
    Hi Luzea, thanks
    I can use a real domain, but I am not sure you get that I don't see or understand how to map the dns entries to ip's on my lan? Surely I must do that?

4. you could also use something like "test.home.arpa" to avoid issues with Apple Macintosh clients

5. TheSkaffer

May 16, 2010
    arpa is spelled almost like monkey in some languages so rather not... again, can use proper domain. Don't use Apple.

Have looked through some older Eli vids on the tube about this and will test a few things. Most the damn books and tutorials always tells you what you can do, but hardly ever what you should do in a given scenario.

6. ButlerKevinD

ButlerKevinD MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    A bit late to the dance on this, but how did you eventually end up configuring your internal DNS on Server 2019?

As others have said, it is best to utilize an actual domain. Mine in my home lab is configured as such:

Public domain name - something.us
    Internal Active Directory domain name - ad.something.us

I have three AD servers. Each is pointing to its peer, and the last DNS entry is to itself, so:

DNS1 - 192.168.10.4
    DNS2 - 192.168.10.5
    DNS3 - 127.0.0.1 (actual ip address is 192.168.10.6)

I have Dynamic Updates set to "Nonsecure and Secure", and aging/scavenging set to scavenge stale records every 7 days.

I also have my Reverse Lookup zone configured for every subnet on my lan segment:

0.168.192.in-addr.arpa
    1.168.192.in-addr.arpa

Also, on the Properties for each domain controller hosting DNS, make certain you configure the "Forwarders" tab to forward DNS requests not resolvable on your lan to an internet-based DNS server of your choice. This has been my working config for years.

Hope this helps.

7. TheSkaffer

May 16, 2010
    A bit late in the answer to that.

I dropped it mostly due to taking down machines to save on power bills. I might pick it up again once we have a few more nuclear power plants.