SSD questions

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by kvic, Aug 18, 2010.

1. kvic

kvic MDL Junior Member

May 25, 2007
    #1 kvic, Aug 18, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
    1. I was thinking of getting a 80 gig ssd, but I can not justify the cost vs a wd 640 gig blue for $49.00, actually I was going to get 2 1 for the system and another for backups,so are they worth it?

2.If I did get a ssd would games and such on my secondary 500 gig hd benefit from having the ssd or would it just be useful to prgrams on it.

I have to say it seems to me the main benefit is faster start and shutdown times and right not my system starts to a fully working desktop in 41 sec's and shuts down in 15 -20 sec's.

Thanks for any advice

2. .Matt.

.Matt. MDL Novice

Jan 10, 2010
    I don't know much about SSD's, but it seems logical that programs not installed on the SSD would not benefit (much) from the performance boost since the data needs to be read from the slower HDD. However, if you install some programs or games you use frequently on the SSD, they will probably load faster. In addition, the whole OS does indeed gain a performance boost, both in boot/shutdown and operation.

Hope this helped

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kvic

kvic MDL Junior Member

May 25, 2007
    Thank you for your reply,I just bought 2 640's hey for $100.00,I just dont understand the ssd's my system running win7 ultimate 64bit starts from pushing the to fully active desktop 43 sec I just cant see spending that kind of money so I can get there in 21 sec or a few seconds less and as far as opening appplications on my desktop I click on the icon and bang it's open,or I seen videos where they open all these applications at once come on the most I have open at one time is 4 or 5 ,maybe in a year or or two when prices catch with the size then yes. again Thank you for your reply.