Standard or Essentials for Home Server

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Webdoc, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Webdoc

Webdoc MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2013
    I use a mediasmart home server and I am thinking of updating it's OS from windows home server 2011 to windows server 2012, but I am not sure on what version to get Standard or Essentials I have been hearing that if I use standard that this does not have the media options that I have been used to with previous versions of windows home server is this correct? if so then I will have to use Essentials. Just making sure before I take the plunge.

2. msr

msr MDL Senior Member

Dec 27, 2007
    If you have a computer with enough specs install vmware or virtualbox or something and do a virtual install os of each one and see which one works for you.

Even if you install standard, you still have smb sharing. If you want dlna sharing, you will have to install 3rd party softwares to get that on standard server.

You really before updating like this, install in some vmware or virtualbox, and check it out for yourself.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cocachris89

cocachris89 MDL Senior Member

Mar 1, 2013
    I currently have Windows 7 ultimate on my media server. It also does my file sharing, torrenting, backups, remote access and a vm with my website hosting.

And like msr said, if you do go with server edition, you'll need a 3rd party program like xbmc.