Start Button on Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by andredream, Sep 21, 2013.

1. andredream

andredream MDL Novice

Sep 18, 2013
    I haven't tried windows 8.1 on my Asus A43SD, so is it the same desktop as windows 7 that has start button?? Thanks indeed

2. jupier2k

jupier2k MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    no ... not quite .. should Google to check this info !

3. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    Or ask for opinions on a Windows 8/8.1 forum.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Or you could right click on the taskbar and change the choices around so that it boots to desktop and shows desktop apps first instead of metro stuff.
    That's relatively the equivalent of the functionality of the win7 start menu without the ugly graphics.

5. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    The functional equivalent of the start menu is NOT to boot directly into the Windows Desktop. It is to restore the two column shortcuts that were active in Windows 7. Take a look around man there are of course start menu replacements but it is entirely up to andredream for what exactly he is looking for. I would not even call the windows 8 start menu a menu at all. It is merely a shortcut to the metro interface thus it hardly even quantifies as a menu at all. lol

6. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    You obviously haven't tried it.

7. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    I have no idea what you are trying to proof, booting to desktop doesn't maginally create the Start Menu, it's pretty questionable the OP is not referring to the actual start menu, the button in 8.1 is just a button that takes you to the Startscreen, in terms of functionality it's no different to Windows 8, but instead of a button you only have a corner where on 8.1 you have both.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. cuteee

cuteee MDL Guru

Oct 13, 2012
    There is not in particular windows 8.1 forum.

9. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #11 Smorgan, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
    Ummm dude I've tried every copy of Windows 8 & 8.1 that leaked and the official previews.

The functionality compared to the start menu is reduced. However I will give that Windows 8 makes it easier to use a group of programs from the start page. That being said it hinders the user when trying to look for a select program when you have 50+ programs and you have to find one program.

I genuinely prefer a split approach taking advantage of both the metro user interface and the dare I say the decadent past of the legacy start menu (sarcasm). I'm not sure what is being proved here though? It is up to the man who started the thread what he wishes to try thou :)

10. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    You can pin all the apps that you want to use to the start screen and then choose to display desktop apps first. That's very similar to the equivalency of the win7 start menu.
    I think they did a much better job this go-round with the metro options. People don't give them credit where credit is due.

11. eydee

eydee Guest

Equivalency? Can you access these as well? This is not even win7.

untitled.JPG

12. wasisdn

wasisdn MDL Novice

Sep 16, 2013
    for Win8 I have used classic shell because it is freeware and not so bad, but for win8.1 actually I don't need it anymore.
    I think for experts or newbie the new win8.1 functioning is much better but for advanced user from previous winxp or win7 may not.
    You can try classicshell.net - in the new 3.9.5 RC version is Win8.1 RTM officially supported

13. murphy78

Nov 18, 2012
    #15 murphy78, Sep 21, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
    You don't need to use those. The personal file folders such as pictures, documents, etc are all integrated in the first windows when you open explorer, which is on the taskbar, a couple icons over.
    The printer stuff, you don't need. (All decent programs that can print, have a print preview and setup section)
    Search is winkey+s
    Run is winkey+r

They've changed things around, but they haven't removed the functionality. If anything it is just less reading and more doing now.

14. Apoc

Apoc MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2012
    Pokki start is good too hxxps://xxw.pokki.com/windows-8-start-menu

15. level9

level9 MDL Member

Jun 25, 2012
    If you install classic shell in 8.1, will you have 2 start buttons or will classic shell replace the "metro launcher"?

ty

level9

16. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
  17. eydee

eydee Guest

I've been using those for more than 10 years. I don't think MS can just decide what to do instead of me. (Well, they can try, but don't tell me it's better. It's like saying buses are better than trains. Who can decide? Two different approaches of the same matter. Freedom of choice is always better.)

Also the features you listed do exist in previous versions as well, so the feature was not replaced but removed. Simple enough.

18. wasisdn

wasisdn MDL Novice

Sep 16, 2013
    classic shell 395 will replace it, if you just click the button you have the menu like win7.
    move the arrow to the left corner untill the button lights up - left click to Metro Start and right click for pop up menu like "normal" win8.1 button