Start Button on Windows 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by andredream, Sep 21, 2013.

1. alsta

alsta MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2013
    After install I expected at least: Administrative Tools, Maintenance, Startup, Windows Accessories, Windows Ease of Acces, Windows System. I know, I know contra answers. Did not wait installed program list to appear and installed Stardock Start8 v1.20 start button.

2. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I'll bite. What exactly was removed? I can locate all of the things from the xp and win7 start menu in win8.x

3. harvester

harvester MDL Novice

Jun 7, 2007
    Hi murphy. Before I begin, let me say thanks for your builds. They are professionally done and quite the time saver.

I think this discussion amounts to personal preferences. One says I've enjoyed this recipe that's been on the menu for years. The restaurant owner changes the recipe to make it more "modern" but those that liked it the way it was would rather it be like it was. Others like yourself have no issues with the new recipe. You'll never win an argument by saying that the new recipe is better. That's a given. You can say that the new Windows should be tried and learned to see how it is better, but that presupposes a willingness to give up that tried and proven method that many have come accustomed to. That's a hard sell as the Windows 8 sales figures can attest to.

No doubt you can reach every program or OS applet in Windows 8 that you could in Windows 7. That's not the issue. The issue is that the Windows 7 start menu contained in one relatively small area nearly all of the links or targets that an average user would use and now in the new recipe, the user is forced--key word--to seek out a different implementation for the same links or targets. And this being an age of individual freedoms, no one likes to be forced into doing anything, especially a paying customer.

Windows 8.1 does bring some relief to the table for those used to the way things were, however, it's more like a band-aide than a real fix. Only time will tell if these changes will be granted favor by those who prefer a Windows that resembles what they've been used to. In the meantime, third-party start menus are available and as long as MS doesn't mess with them, things will continue as they were.

4. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. eydee

eydee Guest

The ability of clicking on start/pressing start on the keyboard, then clicking on documents/my computer/control panel etc. If the start screen had a section with shortcuts to all of these, then the functionality would be equivalent.

Being able to open my computer from the desktop or taskbar is something different, an alternative method, not equivalent.

6. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    In the end you are just complaining for the sake of complaining, nothing stops you from pinning them to your Startscreen or adding it to your Win+X Menu, or even use a Launcher replacement :/

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. eydee

eydee Guest

I'm all the way against customizing or changing defaults. The system should be in the best and most usable form out of the box. I know, that may sound weird. If I want to customize, I build an Arch system from ground up to my liking, not mess around with customizing start screens.

8. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    #28 endbase, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
    Agree on this one but the realtity is that their are a lot of people who use the system windows so they keep it generalistic to keep their costumers happy. If you want a perfect build custom made for yourself you must have the opportunity to customize the system I think even when it's made by others !!

Greetz Base:popcorn:

9. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    The thing we tend to forget is, it is not our product. We purchase rights to MS's product. IF they choose to make it a lego box full of nuts and bolts, that is totally up to them. All we can do is decide if we want to use their product, and if so we take it upon ourselves to make it work for us. You are right on one thing with this comment, nobody can tell you what is better, no more than anyone can tell MS what is better. They will do as they like, just as you can do as you like. Freedom of choice comes the moment you choose to use their product. You made the choice to use it, how you choose to use it and make it suit your needs, is up to you.

10. greffa

greffa MDL Novice

Aug 10, 2010
    I have over 100 utilities 'installed' (many are portables). I want to easily access them with the shortcuts grouped into folders such as Audio, Video, Games, Security. Something like Start, Programs in legacy Windows I guess. What is the best way to do this in Windows 8.1?

11. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I have not used any start alternatives such as stardock, classic shell etc in win 8 simply because I do not need them. I can easily locate all apps installed in the same time that it took in win 7. Restart, shutdown was not a problem in win 8 and of course not in win 8.1.

As to booting to desktop in win 8.1, I have grown quite comfortable with the metro screen. In fact, once I switch on in the morning, it is quite soothing to see the metro screen first up rather than the old desktop style. Subsequently going to desktop is an instant away.

If I analyse the time taken to get around for me, I would say less in 8/8.1 than in 7. My only complaint in win 8.1 start button is that it should have been the traditional left click.

12. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Huh? The 8.1 Button IS left-click enabled, right click gives you the WinX Menu that's also available on 8.0 but because of a lack of button, it's only in the corner.

13. Tidus79001

Tidus79001 MDL Novice

Sep 23, 2013
    No isn't the same at all. The Windows 8.1 Start button will either bring up a Programs List or take you to the Windows 8 Start Screen (you choose which one you prefer). Also you can bypass the WIndows 8.1 start screen at bootup and boot directly to the Desktop. The Windows 8.1 Desktop is the same as has always been (basically like the Windows 7 Desktop). If you are looking for a Windows 7 style Start Menu on Windows 8 then Classic Shell is your friend and is already Windows 8.1 compatible.

14. zeeus

zeeus MDL Member

Jan 30, 2013
  15. realraydon

realraydon MDL Novice

Sep 5, 2013
    windows 8 doesn't have start button. but you can set in the control panel later for the final version of 8 will add this. also, you can use third party app to get start button back. but i recommend free ones for this is not a big deal. i'm using start menu 8.

16. alsta

alsta MDL Novice

Feb 17, 2013
    #37 alsta, Sep 24, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
    The best is free button start8 1.20 by painter (use search). It imitates Windows 7, Windows 8 Style menu and has more you need: it can disable Windows 8 hot corner(s) when at the Desktop and can enable automatically go to Desktop when I sign in. More: I can quickly choose shut down, sleep, hibernate, restart, lock, switch user options.