Start Button

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by pisthai, Jun 29, 2013.

1. alicepattinson

alicepattinson MDL Member

Jan 29, 2013
    For me, the start button/menu is really important.

2. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    The start button is still there,somehow.We need some new habits with,that's all...:rolleyes:

3. MeMy&Myself

MeMy&Myself MDL Junior Member

Sep 5, 2012
    Would u mind to elaborate that? I would really like to read a single valid reason. I mean, how many programs do u use every day? Lets say 10? (thats a big number most ppl hardly use more than 5) What don't let u pin them to the task bar? Small screen/low resolution? All right, then what stops u from put 10 shortcuts in the dektop? (which, btw, are easier and faster to click than open the ols start menu). :confused:

4. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Using myself here StartIsBack, with all hotcorners disabled (invoking Start Screen with WIN+CTRL or Middlemaouse-click on Startbutton) and "All Programs" in cascading Win XP-Style.

I´m working with far more than 10 programs here :D. I tested to use the new and sometimes glorified Start Screen, but it´s really a PITA.
    After installing all my programs i entered the Start Screen and found myself confronted with an incredible mess....:eek:. Some programs showed there with up to a dozen (and even more) tiles, e.g. 'Uninstall' and others, plainly side by side. Scrolling through this mess seemed to be endlessly.

So i changed Start Screen to be All Apps Screen in SIB options :good3:.

Start Menu offers useful context menu options and a fast access to several system options and programs i use seldom. And most important for me, it does this without taking me to another system-level to jump then back. That way i can access my needed features while looking TV or doing other things without losing focus everytime.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. kastrel

kastrel MDL Member

Mar 7, 2013
    I would like to customize the button, put color on it, has a software for that? Thanks :biggrin:

6. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    On a typical day, I'm using the Start Menu dozens of times. It's all about how you learned to use Windows, you tend to stick to that behavior.

7. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    It´s not only a question of adaptation. I wouldn´t mind a more productive solution, but i refuse using this throwback called Start Screen on a non-touch environment.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    So do I. Modern UI simply has no added value for me.

9. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    I couldn't agree more, IMO the Start Screen on anything other than touch devices is crap! I've been by-passing it ever since moving to Win 8 RTM. As previously commented that's why I'd love the Win-X menu to be more versatile (when edited with With Win-X editor), branches for sub menus or such like.

10. Atari800XL

Atari800XL MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011
    Agreed. That's why I really like how I can now install 8.1 pretty much Metro free. I use Win8PESE to boot from USB, then use WinNTSetup (by JFX!) for unattended setup (has a "BootToDesktop" option built-in, also a "disable setup animation", etc.), then an unattended postinstall which installs all my programs, including the new ClassicShell (w/ ClassicStartmenu, new version 4, to be released one of these days). Preconfigured of course to disable hotcorners, etc.

Finally a somewhat professional look for 8.1

11. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    Unfortunately the Win+X Menu can´t be edited to show cascading menus instead of having all items in one long column. So i added my own cascading context menus to desktop and systemobject context menus for fast access to offen used System Panel and Management Snipplets and Power Options :D.

12. Nucleus

Nucleus MDL Guru

Aug 4, 2009
    #52 Nucleus, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2013
    With what? Some tweaker or such like, plz tell?

Edit: Google throws up whole load of stuff for this, registry edits, third party apps etc.

13. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    #54 s1ave77, Jun 30, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2013