Static IP for Laptop on just home WiFi?

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by harrismail, Feb 18, 2014.

1. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    #21 redroad, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  2. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    #22 Myrrh, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
    I think you misunderstand. It's not something to be changed on a regular basis, when leaving/arriving. It's something to change once and forget about it. Same IP every time at home, dynamic anywhere else.

The reason is simple, you've got a port-forward, or a rule, or some other thing on the local network that expects that machine at a specific address and breaks if it's different.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    #23 Mutagen, Feb 18, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
    Okay, I get that. Configure the router one time and your done. As for the NIC, it appears the OP is using DynDns. Org services and wants to know if a static IP will cause problems if used anywhere else. (Reply #3). The answer is "yes" - the OP won't be able to connect anywhere that uses DHCP. Again, I feel my two proposed suggestions in reply #16 are viable. And certainly, I could be wrong and everyone here is entitled to their opinion - I respect that.

And, just so you don't think I'm talking through an orifice other than the mouth, I'm running three personal web servers here at home. One on IIS (Microsoft Internet Information Service), one on Mac OS X and one on Apache (Ubuntu). I've had to configure each nic with a static IP (which also means the default gateway, net mask and DNS servers are set manually). And yes, I too use the Dyndns.org service. Fortunately, my ISP seldom changes my IP, so I rarely have to log into dyndns.org to point their sevice to a new IP. But one or twice everyday, I check the logs on the IIS server. If it appears the log has stopped working, I check my IP. Either my Wan IP has changed, or I found a new way to muck up my server.

Bottom line, there is no way for the OP to configure the nic for both static and dynamic at the same time. Configure for static at home and switch to DHCP for the road.

[added IIS log snippet if you'd like to see what is logged]

Attached Files:

4. luciferall

luciferall MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2009
    just set a static ip address at the router based on the mac address of the device (laptop, Xbox, phone) you know each one a different static ip. Golden rule each device with a unique IP or a great war will happen :) you don't need to set the static ip in the laptop NIC if you do it at the router level instead :)

5. NokTham

NokTham MDL Novice

Dec 27, 2013
    #26 NokTham, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    title?

Just like Coasie said, go with NetSetMan, i use it a lot to change the network settings, it's simple, you configure the software with the network info you want, then when you connect to a network, it will check if there are any configurations for it and it will apply the settings, you can configure several profiles with it, and NetSetMan will SET automatically the profile required for "this" network or "that" network, for your situation, this software will do the job. It's free and lightweight.