Still no news of Windows 7 SP2?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ian82, Jan 7, 2013.

1. ricktendo64

ricktendo64 MDL Expert

Apr 20, 2008
    SP2 for Windows 7 is not going to happen...period.

2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    IT WAS JUST RELEASED!! ok not really hehe (That is how it would go if I said what you said lol. I never win!)

3. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    MS had time to properly get into the smartphone and tablet business too. And we all know how well they managed their time in those two instances.

4. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    Yeah, very poorly managed by MS, I used to have a Surface RT for about 1 week, and I got fed up with the software on it, plus the Store had lots of fake apps, which proves MS doesn't check all submissions.

In the end I returned my Surface RT for a full refund.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    Ditto! MS announced a while back that they will only be providing updates for Windows 7 no more. They are not going to invest any time in developing an SP 2 as it requires a lot of testing and stuff as I heard. Very bad decision I say for their best OS in time

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. El_Heffe

El_Heffe MDL Member

Jul 16, 2007

Attached Files:

7. parapher

parapher MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2012
    It was pretty easy to see Surface RT was going to be a disaster. Only the Pro tablet would have ever been considered by me. But the price is up there, too. To think they will not release SP2 for the most successful OS since XP is ludicrous. MS got a lot of flack about being behind the curve (even though they were often first on the scene researching new technologies!); now that they are definitely behind the curve, they have to make gigantic, risky strides to catch up or secure their markets, and it is exactly those forced strides that are pissing loyal customers off! However much I like Windows, sadly they deserve the flack they are getting.

8. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    Where did you find this new utility??

9. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    My wife actually had a real world need for a tablet and she settled on the iPad. Over a ten day period, she tried her best to get it to be the device she wanted. In the end, she returned it for a full refund (including case, ear phones and other assorted extras) and bought a Windows 8 Pro tablet. She really likes it, it does everything she wanted a tablet to do and it suits her perfectly. As much as I disliked Windows 8 on a desktop, on a touch screen tablet it's really nice. I did install iObit's Startmenu-setup and with it the tablet is just nice. Not too long after that, she put her cell phone through the washer and had to get another. She got a Lumia 928 Windows Phone 8 and is completely happy with it.

If the two of us can warm up to Windows 8, anybody can. And that's just one more nail in the Windows 7 SP2 coffin as far as we're concerned. It may yet be a reality, but it's just not a big deal for us. The last Windows machine I had to update from scratch, I just started Windows Update and came back in a couple of hours. No big deal ... just let it run and go play with the dog. Endless conjecture about a Windows 7 SP2 is just not a thing I care to worry myself with.

10. parapher

parapher MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2012
    I think that the question about SP2 for Win7 is a much more valid and natural one than it isn't -- hence it arises and will arise.

11. oldsh_t

oldsh_t MDL Expert

Dec 23, 2009
    Well I'm not so sure about this one anymore. I just did a clean install of Win7 with a clean media on the 9th just after patch Tue. There were 82 updates needed. (critical updates) They were all installed! Yesterday I checked again and there were 10 more updates. Of those 10 I see that 5 updates from the first 82 were outdated already?? Go figure!! I checked the "Installed updates" and the 5 outdated ones were there.
    OK now is a good time to check out this disk clean up. Installed it..... selected updates only and let it do it's work. When done it only took out 2 of the outdated updates???
    I will give it another go at some point but I don't think that this is all it's cracked up to be.

12. detroit

detroit MDL Junior Member

Oct 31, 2013
    I'd prefer an updated Windows 7 with full UEFI support, including GOP (Graphics Output Protocol). Win 7 is a pain to install and run on these new UEFI logicboards.

13. dailyinsanity

dailyinsanity MDL Junior Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Why would Microsoft release a service pack for Windows 7? It's 10 year support would be extended even more. Mainstream Support is extended 2 years after a service pack. Microsoft wants everyone off of Windows 7 and on to Windows 8 and 8.1. Just like XP's support should've ended in 2011, but they released another Service Pack, so they had to extend support.

14. Paiva

Paiva MDL Developer

Apr 9, 2011
    Maybe M $ is good next year.

Maybe make an SP2.

perhaps... :rolleyes:

15. steven4554

steven4554 MDL Expert

Jul 12, 2009
    If I were in charge at MS, I would revise the support lifecycle:-

1) Every new Windows version would get 15 years of support (7 and half years Mainstream, followed by another 7 and a half for extended!)

2) This revision would take effect straight away

3) I would guarantee a Service Pack 2 for Windows 7 for next year.

4) XP support would be extended for another 3 years, to give people time to migrate to 7 or 8.1.

Sadly I'm not in charge, but this is want I would do.

16. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Win 7 support date was communicated on GA in 2009. Issuing SP does not change that. Win 7 support was ended 2 years after SP1 was released.
    MS may extend the support date but they have to maintain support to what was communicated in 2009. They need not extend support date regardless of SPs issued.
    Windows 8 and 8.1 have also the same end of life date. Only thing win 8 will not be supported beyond 2 years of GA of 8.1.

17. EaglePC

EaglePC MDL Expert

Feb 13, 2012
    if there was win7 sp2 there be nobody running win 10:eek:
    win 7 rock solid when something's good it always changes

18. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010