Stop Smoking?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by floonoIdeogue, Nov 12, 2007.

1. zen45

zen45 MDL Addicted

Feb 25, 2010
    I started smoking at 11 years old and quit cold turkey at 34 , it was hard but I kept getting sick and was in the hospital a couple of times and they brought in a priest once ! I ate a lot of lemon drops and other hard candy , as the years went by food tasted better I could walk faster. I did a lot of hiking and enjoyed life more ! vaping is smoking in a different way its still addictive and with all the additives in it you could in the long run do more damage then a cigarette when I see what's being exhaled from your lungs I wonder how much of what remains in them well I guess in 10 or 20 years I guess we will find out . I had a neighbor who was driving his car with an oxygen tank hooked to his nose smoking a cigarette drinking a beer having a moment of pleasure he died at 49 im 76 and having more moments of pleasure , your choice more or less

2. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    Well....almost 8 years now! the money that I saved, are right down there on the table - ~$18k. I smoked ~1½ pack a day. Just think about it ;)

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Vevirin

Vevirin MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2019
    You only really need to want to stop. Other than that nothing will help if in your mind you're quiting only because someone said it's bad for you. You have to believe it and want to quit.

4. Noflufftech

Noflufftech MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2018
    Start your week by consuming 10 cigarettes a day for 1 week, and next week 9 cigarettes, and then 8 and so on and so forth, until your body will reject the nicotine itself. I have been a smoke-free for 5yrs now. That's my trick. :)

5. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #386 Muerto, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021

6. jrtls20

jrtls20 MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2019
    My friend is a web developer
    Back when we programmed just for fun and not for business, he was also trying to stop smoking and he had this crazy idea.
    He created a facebook app where he uploaded this really awkward and shaming photo of himself and established a goal for something you were trying to achieve (in his case, 60 days to quit smoking).
    By the end of the 60 days, the app would create a poll among your friends asking something as "Has this person stopped smoking in the last 60 days?".
    If "Yes" won, then the app would NOT automatically post his picture for everyone to see, otherwise... the app basically blackmailed him hahaha
    He succeeded, by the way. I thought it was brilliant. A little bit weird and dangerous, I must admit, but nonetheless brilliant.
    I don't know the name of the app, but I think it's still online

7. limestree01

limestree01 MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2019
    That's not easy... I was a hard core smoker for what, about 15 years? But sometimes even when you try to quit it's too hard, the only thing that actually helped me was a life changing event - the birth of my daughter. When my wife was pregnant I knew I couldn't go around smoking so I HAD to stop. And that's it, with the right motivation everything is possible

8. c123go

c123go MDL Novice

Sep 26, 2016
    after a smoke,eat a chilli!!!! chilli!!! chilli!!!

9. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    ^
    yep I agreed ;):(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. ByteScout

ByteScout MDL Novice

Sep 6, 2019
    You'll be grumpy for about 2 weeks, but it's totally worth it, your senses and stamina will heighten (or actually go back to normal) even as soon as 1 month after quitting.

11. JohnDeWoll

JohnDeWoll MDL Novice

Dec 9, 2019
    Hehe,
    after each smoked cigarette you have stopped smoking already! The cigarette is finished after a while so you must quit. (must put it into the ashtray or somewhere)

Just don't light up another one and you're done!;):D;)

12. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Hi JohnDeWoll :welcome:to MDL :D

13. havanhoa

havanhoa MDL Novice

Nov 18, 2019
    yes, it not good

14. Ken Hardner

Ken Hardner MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2019
    Best of luck, it is not easy :)

15. Ramon Nivar

Ramon Nivar MDL Novice

Dec 23, 2019
    Stick to it.......You will make it.

16. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Hi onskyott I agree ;) and :welcome:to MDL and happy new year :D

17. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    I only smoke chatbox :schmorch: .... 25 years now smoke free ....

18. #399 Deleted member 1071488, Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2020
    i am a chain smoker.

19. mynorgeek

mynorgeek MDL Novice

Jan 2, 2020
    Think of yourself dying of lung cancer in a hospital bed, 20 years from now, in the future. Imagine yourself, 20 years from now, wishing you had quit 20 years ago. Then rejoice! Today is 20 years ago! You have that chance right now, that chance you'll wish in the future that you had taken 20 years ago. It's like going back in time. It's changing the future. :)