Stop Smoking?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by floonoIdeogue, Nov 12, 2007.

1. pr101

pr101 MDL Novice

Nov 25, 2010
    got to say congratulations - always pleased to hear or read when people stop smoking.

2. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    #142 x86, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
    Like all bad habits in life, its all about will power. You need no more than that. No nicotine patches, no fake plastic cigars, no medication - nothing - just say to your self you can do it, if then just stop it. I have witnessed few heavy smokers actually quitting and despite their slight differences in their approach - they all had shared that very ingredient - will power.

If you really want to quit smoking you can. There is no 'but'...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. bludgard

bludgard MDL Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Put them down.

The only way I know of is to just put them down. I've quit before, but....
    No way I could f**k with any kind of machine and not smoke. That is absurd.o_O
    Anyway, it's expensive and unhealthy. Definately worth giving up.
    Good luck.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. NesteaZen

NesteaZen MDL Novice

May 9, 2010
    #144 NesteaZen, Aug 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Have a look a this video.
    Code:
    youtu.be/0TL2Vh7goJc

5. quarky42

quarky42 MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2011
    Best of luck to anyone looking to quit. My only suggestion is that people in general don't drop habits very easily. On the other hand, it is easier to replace a habit with another one. If you crave a cigarette every time you get in the car, try and replace that cigarette with something else. Your body will get over the chemical craving pretty quickly, but the physical craving where you might want a cigarette every time the phone rings or every time you get in the car.... that is the type of thing to try and find a replacement for. It is cliche to say chew gum, but it is one option. Mints, cinnamon sticks, a stress ball, or anything else you might use in place of lighting up might be worth considering.

6. cdrk

cdrk MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2011
    started again last week after a 6 month 'break'.

7. mohamedkamel

mohamedkamel MDL Addicted

Jul 5, 2011
    If YOU want to stop, you will! :)

8. fantamedo

fantamedo MDL Novice

Nov 12, 2009
    It's a matter of will
    try visiting chest department in any hospital and you will definitely stop

9. CHEF-KOCH

CHEF-KOCH MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    [​IMG]
    :eek::eek: please don't stop the smoking :D:eek::doh:

10. ft@t@lk

ft@t@lk MDL Junior Member

Apr 15, 2011
    I did say I would quit once I got my back surgery....it's now been 7 days since I last had a cigarette (that's the day of my operation)......it's tough not to smoke.......am bored at home, stuck on the couch; feel like eating more but there's no food

11. Femfatale

Femfatale MDL Novice

Aug 11, 2011
    @Xeis
    Good for you for not smoking..

" Smoking to me is like kissing an ash tray " ewwwwwwww!

and welcome my friend!

:rolleyes: Femmy :rolleyes:

12. netking33

netking33 MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2011
    hey bro i m really tried many things for quiet this but i can't.tell me how to quiet????????

13. communicator

communicator MDL Junior Member

Sep 1, 2011
    spirtophobia...fear of matches!!!

14. jonybush

jonybush MDL Novice

Sep 23, 2011
    According to a recent survey, around 15 million smokers try to quit smoking each day. However, less than 3% of these people stop smoking successfully for 3 to 12 months. If you’re thinking about quitting or have stopped smoking but failed to quit, don’t lose hope because smokers often try to quit more than once before they actually succeed.

15. venicasan

venicasan MDL Novice

Sep 27, 2011
    #155 venicasan, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
    Smoking is very dangerous for health. its contains nicotine which is very harmful to health. smoking has many side effects which can increase the risk of lung cancer. it is really essential to stop smoking to get better health and healthy life style.

16. Petronium

Petronium MDL Senior Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Test Allen Karr's method.
    Allen Carr's Easyway To Stop Smoking Method has helped millions of smokers quit smoking and find freedom from cigarettes.
    It may be a book, audio book or CD.
    Look on the Internet.

17. Shenpen

Shenpen MDL Novice

May 17, 2011
    There is actually less mystery to addictions and self control than you would tend to think:

1. There is a certain limited "energy" or "resource" that is used until it is used up or close to that. This resource lets you do something other that would be your normal tendency: override pain, override desire, concentrate extra, focus your attention narrowly, pretend, starve yourself or take initiative.

2. After using up or depleting this energy or resource you will default to what is your normal tendency: eat fast food, smoke, watch tv, relax or whatever is your normal habit or "line of least resistance". The state that you are in after using most of your "energy" or "willpower" is called "ego-depletion".

3. Ego-depletion is measured as the difference in endurance in two states: With no prior depletion and after depleting situation X.

It is quite useful to think in terms of ego-depletion when you need to stop smoking: It is quite hard to keep enough self control at all times when you try to stop. There is a fairly constant urge to smoke which is easy to resist at most times. There are on special occasion a stronger urge to smoke which is harder to resist. But the weak point is really not moments of strong urge, but rather moment of strong urge combined with a depleted state, i.e. after some demanding situation.

This of course could mean that you should stop smoking when you have less other demands on your self control. But there is a far better application: Your self control is not fixed, but will get stronger or weaker according to the "exercise" you give it over a period. After a period of really hard struggle you will have "stronger self control" or rather longer endurance in using self control. After a period of living with no pressures or challenges you will be weaker. Think of astronauts returning to earth after a period of zero gravity - they can hardly walk in normal gravity.

When quitting some addiction is can make a big difference if you do some "training" before you go "cold turkey". Training would consist in anything that you can do regularly - say each morning - which is only done from pure self discipline. Meditation, morning pages, physical exercise, cold showers or something equal demanding.

When committed to quitting you should avoid severe ego depletion. Don't quit in the middle of a crisis or when starting a new job, or when traveling.

It is also worth noting that the illusion of self control is often part of the attraction to addictive substances: After ingestion you feel that you have more self control than you otherwise tend to think. There is because of this a perfect fit between addictive drugs or addictive psychotropic behaviors (like shopping) and people with a weak self control.

18. Shenpen

Shenpen MDL Novice

May 17, 2011
    #158 Shenpen, Oct 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
    Will power is needed, but you then need to aswer two questions:
    1. Where do i get it or how do I get more of it?
    2. How do i know that I now have more will power?

To get more will power you need to do something quite parallel to physical training: will power is self-adjusting in pretty much the same sense that physical strength is and will vary according to the general level of "demand". If you work hard - lifting or running - you will grow stronger and have more endurance. Specifically you break down you break down your strength with hard exercise on day one and your body will overcompensate when restituting on day two. If you keep doing that cycle you will get stronger. When your exercise is lifting heavy objects your muscle mass and strength will increase. When running long distance the effect of training will affect circulatory physiology (oxygen carrying capacity) which will give you endurance.

Training your will power is a matter of doing some kind of exercise that tax your ability to respond differently than your normal default instinctual or habitual response. Overriding pain or overriding feelings of being exhausted would be clear examples, but there are many others and very different ways. I like exercises that will aim at altering my psychological state, as that i something that is very useful for me in normal situations.

The effect of such training is not what the term "will power" would lead you to believe: an ability to have a better result in the same time - when trying to alter my state, more will power will not give me better results in the same amount of time. In that sense I can not get more will power. What training does give me is longer endurance when applying my will power and thus results in cases where I would give up because of depletion if untrained.

I think this explains why exercise of will power is not something that people will turn to very often: The result you get is way more subtle to spot than what you expect, e.i. more "lifting power". People who do some kind of training will have a vauge sense of the results and just stick to it because it seems to fit their lifestyle. But a focused attempt to build more will power will give you results in a few weeks if you know how to measure or estimate the real effect and not be distracted by the false comparison to muscle mass.

19. dareckibmw

dareckibmw MDL Expert

Jun 16, 2009
    20 months as of today w/o that sh$t! ....and counting :cool:

20. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Keep it up :thumbsup:

p.s. Don't make the mistake of giving in - not even once - no matter what :excl: