Strange behaviour SBS 2011

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Malc-C, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Malc-C

Malc-C MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2014
    Hi Guys,

A while back I downloaded the ISO for Windows SBS 2011 standard, and have a small machine on which to install it and test it as part of my "education" process. The Computer has the following:

ASUS AM1i-A mini iTX main board
    AMD Athlon 5350 quad core 2.0Ghz processor
    8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
    250GB system drive (connected to a 6gb Sata port)
    1GB NIC

Installation, configuration, expansion etc takes just over 2 hrs to get to the desk top. It then connected (after I disabled DCHP on the router) to the network and completed it's tasks. However on the first reboot it takes for ever to get back to the desktop. It sat there for over an hour with the "applying settings" message.

In the end I crashed the machine out and loaded up in safe mode - in even viewer there was like 1000 entries, most were errors which seem to relate to networking / exchange and some services. I then re-booted the machine and this time it seemed to get to the desktop quite quickly, but only displayed the console... no task bar, icons or start button.

I've formatted the drive and re-installed the ISO several times... some thing seems to happen, and that's before I've used the uploader, it's still has 3 days for activation, so it's not that which is causing the issue.

Any ideas before I put home server on the machine !