Strange Issue That Occurs Every 2 Weeks On PC

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Lakerfanalways, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Lakerfanalways

Lakerfanalways MDL Member

Oct 27, 2012
    I have a Dell XPS 8700 Desktop and I have the strangest issue going on ever since I put in Windows 10. Every two weeks or so(And yes it just happened again so wanted advice before contacting Dell) I will have Firefox open and maybe another program, doesnt matter either way..but the PC will first freeze up, I will move the mouse and nothing happens..then the screen goes black and I wait to see what happens next, then I see a bunch of little boxes appear on the screen, different colors it looks like a frozen screen..then I will reboot and everything will be fine again I have no idea what is causing this. I never had this issue on Windows 8.1 before so that is why Im concerned, it sounds like a conflict of some kind but not sure what. The ONLY thing I can think of is soon after this all started, I had updated the BIOS to A11..the update I got from Dells site, everything was fine when I installed it but after it installed I guess it rechecks it and that part gave me an error, I rebooted the computer and checked the BIOS and it showed it as the updated A11..I dont know that is all I can think of, I have no virus in my PC so I have no idea what this could be, any advice before I call Dell I will really appreciate it

2. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    try a complete reset and see if it fixes the issue for u.

3. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #5 lobo11, Aug 25, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2015
    Go to Dell site, sign in, in search type full diagnostic's tests, dell has them through:D pc doctor, they have short test and full tests

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #6 lobo11, Aug 25, 2015
    Kind of jumping the gun aren't you, she needs diagnostic's tests first:D

That is not the way to find out what problem may be.

If you do not know answer, then do not post!!!:mad:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Lakerfanalways

Oct 27, 2012

Do you think this will locate the problem Im having, because its weird it happens every two weeks, and it never happened with windows 8 so I know its a windows 10 issue

6. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    What it will do is tell you if any and I mean any of your hardware is bad or going bad, if not then you know it is a software conflict:D

7. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    #10 lobo11, Aug 25, 2015
  8. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    I would not think the video card, but the drivers, check with the AMD site and see if they have new drivers ccc for your card, download to your desktop, then go to control panel, programs and features and delete video drivers you have now, reboot, install the ones on desktop:D

9. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    #14 odiebugs1, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    Remember to write down the time and date when something like this happens, then go to windows Admin events, check to see if the even was logged, as the system didn't go BSOD, which leaves you without a log file to debug.

If I were you, you should look through them and see what you have for errors.

I agree with Lobo, I bet this was a driver, and that caused a Video driver restart.

You have AMD, don't DL anything from Nvidia.

10. Lakerfanalways

Oct 27, 2012
    Ever since that guy from Dell removed the driver for AMD my tiles in windows start up are now solid colors..and under "Most used" apps the icons no longer have pictures, but when I go to all apps everything has icons..I know for sure this is a video issue it does make sense just not sure what to do..they told me they are sending me a new video card with a technician but its weird, never had this problem with my video card with windows 8 but with windows 10 it no longer works

11. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    Maybe if you get a chance you could post a pic of this.

Even though he removed the driver, windows will automatically install one.

The reason you see Nvidia, is because the system can be offered AMD or Nvida GPU, but don't ever try and install it.

I didn't notice, but do you know what GPU you have, maybe we can find the newest beta for you to try.

12. ElDiabl0

ElDiabl0 MDL Junior Member

May 31, 2011
    Even if the AMD auto detection app says your drivers are up to date you should download the latest driver from AMD's website, disconnect from the internet, open 'Program and features', uninstall AMD catalyst, reboot your computer, install the driver you downloaded from AMD then reboot again. Don't connect to the internet before you've finished installing the driver or Windows Update will try to download the driver for you.

13. Lakerfanalways

Oct 27, 2012

I have the AMD Radeon HD 7500 video graphics card..on AMD's web site it directed me to download the
    Catalyst Software Suite 245 MB 15.7.1 7/28/2015
    it seems to be an entire package am I right? so let me understand what I have to do..disconnect from the internet(Since I have already downloaded this package I assume its for my PC) open programs and features, uninstall AMD Catalyst, reboot the PC, install that software pack when the PC is up and running, reboot again, then when I reboot the PC I can plug back in the internet?

14. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    #20 odiebugs1, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    Wow, strange.

Post a pic of devise MGR, you expand Display Adapter, and then RT click on the GPU ( your display devise ) and click properties and open driver tab, move the driver window over so it doesn't block the devise.

If the 15.7 still has problems, I have a 15.20.1065 version for you to try.

Yes, it's to keep windows from installing it drivers from windows update.