Strange partitions

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by trasher255, Feb 1, 2017.

1. trasher255

trasher255 MDL Member

Jul 26, 2009
    I want to use all of this SSD. Don't know how I got all these bits and pieces. Maybe by cloning of an old HDD.
    How do I get rid of them to use all space, without reformatting of course?
    Knipsel.JPG

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    I like GPartEd for partition manipulations. But if you've never done this sort of thing before, be careful and have a recovery plan.

3. lobo11

lobo11 TOMAHAWK CHOP

Feb 16, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #6 kaljukass, Feb 1, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. JJ2SMILY

JJ2SMILY MDL Novice

Mar 10, 2012
    Very timely. I just fixed the similar problem for my friend last week.
    She used Windows 10 and needed to extend her system drive(C drive) by using some free space from her D drive. She had only one hard drive and her partition layout was C drive + Unfomatted space(1MB) + Recovery(450MB) + Unfomatted space(1MB) + System Reserved(449MB) + D drive by reading from the left in Disk Management. This is how I did.

1) Backup the whole Hard drive. Important!

2) Get the latest GParted Live(gparted-live-0.27.0-1-amd64.iso) from http: //gparted.sourceforge.net/download.php

3) Use Rufus(http: //rufus.akeo.ie) to create a bootable USB flash drive. (You can also burn to a blank CD or DVD.)

4) Boot the computer from the created media. (Make sure the computer is set to boot from it.) After loading it and selecting a few options, GParted Live will start.

http: //gparted.sourceforge.net/display-doc.php?name=gparted-live-manual

5) Resize D drive to create a requested space. Then shift it for several times to move it to the right side of C drive, and merge it.

http: //gparted.org/display-doc.php%3Fname%3Dmoving-space-between-partitions

6) Run chkdsk /f on C and D drive with Command Prompt. For example, chkdsk c: /f

7) Create a backup image except for D drive.

After that, everything seemed to be working(booted and Windows), but there was one issue when I tried to do the step 7. My backup software said C drive was unformatted somehow. So I restored C drive from my backup created in step 1 and the issue was solved.

In your case, I assume you want to extend C drive. If so, I would get rid of the partition "Door systeem..." and merge to C drive. It looks like it's from an old Windows. Before delete it, make sure it's not a boot partition. Otherwise, your system will not boot. If that's the case, use EasyBCD(https: //neosmart.net/wiki/easybcd/basics/changing-the-boot-partition/) to help you copy necessary files to make C drive as a boot partition before using GParted Live. Make sure to mark the partition "Door systeem..." as inactive and mark C drive as active, and then restart your computer to see if it's bootable.

Then Shift 23GB unformatted space and merge to C drive. While shifting, you might be able to get rid of the tiny space between 450MB partitions. (Sometimes you may not.)

I would just keep the Recovery and System Reserved partitions.

Good luck!

6. trasher255

trasher255 MDL Member

Jul 26, 2009
    Thanks for all replies.
    Can I safely remove both "Herstelpartitie" which is "Recovery partition" in English (2x 450MB)?

7. Katzenfreund

Katzenfreund MDL Expert

Jul 15, 2016
    You can, if you have alternative back-up policy, such as a system partition image on a different drive, preferably external.

8. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  9. trasher255

trasher255 MDL Member

Jul 26, 2009
    I deleted the Recovery partitions and expanded the C partition with a partition tool.
    After that my SSD wouldn't even be recognized by the BIOS. Had to restore a backup to a different drive first, clean the SSD and then restore the backup to the SSD to get things working again.

10. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    This is not in any way the solution. It is necessary to find a bug / problem and then to remove it.
    Otherwise, there is like an ostrich's situation - sticking his head in the sand and thinks that no one sees him.

11. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    That doesn't make much sense, because if the drive wasn't recognized in the bios, You would not have been able to clean the SSD. Another scenario could be that your boot loader is on the partition you deleted and thats just a matter of re-installing the boot loader files

12. trasher255

trasher255 MDL Member

Jul 26, 2009
    I restored to a different drive, not the SSD. After that I could clean the SSD, attached through an USB adapter.

13. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    What did the error say when you tried to boot up the SSD?

14. trasher255

trasher255 MDL Member

Jul 26, 2009
    There was no error. The motherboard just halted completely on trying to detect the SSD. Couldn't even get into the BIOS.