Struggling to install Win7-64 bit on UEFI laptop

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by goodflood, Feb 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. goodflood

goodflood MDL Member

Feb 16, 2011
    @mehdibleu

Okay, any recommendation on software to use to repack the files to ISO?

Also, now that I am going to try to use the replace install.wim method, do I do this in UEFI or NON-UEFI mode?
    Current status is UEFI mode... but no problem if I have to convert everything before trying.
    I will use Rufus to create the bootable USB after replacing install.wim.

2. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    i use Poweriso to rebuild Isos but you can use other tools as UltraISO which does the job as well. You can find both of these tools here.
    it doesn't matter which mode you use, you can try both modes, you choose the one that you want.

3. joluboga

joluboga MDL Member

Dec 4, 2011
    Why does he need to rebuild the iso, though? It seems to me that the way he did it the first time (using a windows 10 iso to make a bootable usb and changing the install.wim file with the one from windows 7) gives you the same result in the end, as I have used that same method successfully myself. :dunno:

4. goodflood

goodflood MDL Member

Feb 16, 2011
    @mehdibleu

Thank you for mentioning the tools... I ended up figuring out how to use InfraRecorder as I had already downloaded it earlier to create an ISO.

I am going with BIOS: UEFI as I have the setting already with install media: GPT/FAT32 and medium to be installed GPT/FAT32.

ISO is Win 10 modded with Win 7 install.wim.

Installation starts, I skip key entry, and choose Win 7 Ultimate, accept terms for Win 7 SP1.
    Then, I choose advanced, delete everything and select new, and go with the defaults partitions: Recovery, System, MSR and Primary (<--installed to this).

I get this error:

BOOT-ERROR-WIN-ERROR-RECOVERY.jpg

EDIT: I am going to try NON-UEFI also and report back.

5. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    yes that's what i was asking myself and since he managed to get the usb bootable after he replaced the install.wim into win10 iso means that he was able to rebuildd the iso himself correctly on the first try.

6. goodflood

goodflood MDL Member

Feb 16, 2011
    So, reporting back, same Windows Error Recovery when

BIOS: LEGACY; BOOT MEDIA: MBR/NTFS M2: MBR/(Win 7 default)...
    I also got the ACPi not compliance error... on starting Windows normally from M2 storage.

7. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    So now there is no other choice but to flash the bios.

i think that's the only solution that remains to make this work and hopefully this will fix this issue.

8. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Is there a new BIOS available?

ACPI is about powerconfig settings and support.

9. goodflood

goodflood MDL Member

Feb 16, 2011
    And the TAB key (I learnt) gets me the BIOS POST info
    BIOS-POST--VERSION.jpg

10. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    #71 mehdibleu, Feb 11, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    that's what i told him to do, to verify if there is a new version of the bios for his machine.

it seems that his current version of the bios does not support ACPI so update the bios will probably fix this issue and allow him to install win7 successfully and as i said previously after doing some research on the net, i found a similar problem with the same error message and the guy managed to install win7 after he flashed the bios.

11. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
  12. goodflood

goodflood MDL Member

Feb 16, 2011
    @mehdibleu
    The problem is that the provider of my laptop is a company that assembles and sells laptops (with Linux installed). So, there is no page to download the BIOS from. Moreover, they try to hide the actual supplier... as seen by the BIOS POST screen, HWINFO and other utilities... they just shows the business name. I was able to open the laptop and see who the mobo manufacturer is... it's AMI

AMI have a few firmware update tools... but not sure which one to use [version 4 or version 5]. Also, there is no way to downgrade. The tools are in zip format with .exe files inside, so does this mean that I must install windows 10 and then try to flash the BIOS. In my BIOS, there is no BIOS [firmware] update option like router's have.

Cody's Win Loader? utility or Microsoft Toolkit... does it mod the BIOS? Should I run it in Windows 10 to activate it? Will it change the BIOS and allow me to install Win 7? Or, am I mistaken how it works?

13. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    i don't know the tool you mentionned so can't help you with this, in your case yes you should install win10 then mod the bios but unfortunately i can't tell you which bios version you need to use to flash the bios so the best tthing to do is to go to this thread => https://forums.mydigitallife.net/th...d-requests-section.7500/page-804#post-1410491

This thread concerns all what is related to bios and helps members to mod their bios, you have to give information about your hardware (Manufacturor, Motherborad, bios version.....) and @Serg008 (he has a great knowledge of all what concerns bios) will send you the right bios version and will tell you how to proceed to mod your bios successfully.
    Good luck my friend.
    let me know of the result.

14. goodflood

goodflood MDL Member

Feb 16, 2011
    @mehdibleu
    Thanks for the info. I will go there and see what can be done... and get then back here soon!

15. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    How did this go from installing windows 7 (on a non supported system) to modifying the bios?

I really can't see what it would bring, other than breaking the warranty?

16. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    if it can allow him to install win7 successfully, that will be a good thing.

17. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    How? Would someone be able to change the entire bios to get a CSM in?

I wouldn't take the risk when i don't know how to recover when something goes bad and the system doesn't work properly anymore or at all.

18. mehdibleu

mehdibleu MDL Expert

Jun 14, 2017
    #79 mehdibleu, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    As i said previously, his current bios version does not support ACPI so by flashing the bios there are good chances that he can install win7 successfully, i came accross the same scenario by doing research on the net and the guy managed to install win7 successfully after he flashed the bios.

That's what i would personnaly have done if i had found myself confronted with such a scenario but it's up to him to decide if he wants to do this.

19. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    As there is no CSM (so pure uefi) i don't see that installing win 7 will succeed.