Successfully installed Windows 8 on Dell Latitude D600, solved PAE/NX/SSE2 problem

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by javamocha2000, Dec 24, 2012.

1. MrChris

MrChris MDL Addicted

Jun 23, 2007
    I installed Win8 Pro on an old Latitude D420 that I have laying around. And jack ching bada bing. It just worked. 2GB of ram on a 1.6ghz cpu (I think). A little slow but great for the kids and as a general purpose house laptop. :)

~MC

2. Netbanshee

Netbanshee MDL Junior Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Yes Windows 8 ran on my D610 with no problem. Not the speed demon but reasonable considering the age of the hardware. Easy compared to installing Win 7 ultimate on my Dell LS lappy a few years ago. (P3-500):bangin: That was intriguing.

3. pskandall

pskandall MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2010
    #23 pskandall, Mar 24, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
    Is your card in the list? Double check if your card's "DEV"\"SUBSYS" numbers match exactly as it is on the list, if it is not, you may need to modify the INF file and try again.

Anyway, if your card is in the list, how did you tried it? Did you run the setup application or tried the "Device Manager > Update Driver > Select driver INF file" method? (I suggest using Device Manager)

Also, (and I'm guessing this) the setup application may not work with other cards since it is originally made for the x600 (even tho the INF support the cards I listed) that's why I'm suggesting you try updating it via the Device Manager method.

I have tried these "legacy generic desktop drivers" from the AMD website, but it gives me an annoying issue: My screen native resolution is 1920x1200 and if I set it to anything else (like 1280x800 I'm used to) I get screen borders.

Does this Mobility Modder fix this issue?

EDIT: I tried this Mobility Modder and it gave me the same annoying issue, BUT, since I installed it via the Device Manager it kept my old CCC version, which allowed me to fix the screen margin bug, now I have an working "better-than-before" driver with some benefits that I hadn't before (like GPU processing in Chrome/IE for example)

Thanks eydee for the Mobility Modder tip.

4. AlexPPC

AlexPPC MDL Novice

Feb 8, 2008
    #24 AlexPPC, Feb 2, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
    Hallo javamocha2000,
    I am interested to try this CPU with W8 on an old box laying around: Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook S6120, which is currently with Intel Pentium M 1.6 GHz, with 1M cache and 2GB RAM.
    While inserting a W8 DVD, the PAE error is apearing in the first sceeen after the rotating wheel.
    As for now it can't recognize more than 128GB HDD too.
    Can you give me a hand, how/where should the BIOS be modified, either for the PAE reason, or in order larger HDD to be supported ?
    I have uploaded here the latest version used of this BIOS (1.26), in three different flavors, (as per the official support site) BUP, ISO and EXE:
    mega.co.nz/#!hEVVjSKA!k5j6o9ZoYdkDAu9yHLWRjjLTFTv1XxOxzpXnv2G 8JZI
    (It is a Phoenix make)

TNX in advance for support !

5. javamocha2000

javamocha2000 MDL Novice

Jan 29, 2010

All I did was replace my old CPU with the one that has PAE/NX/SSE2. That's all and I was able to install W8Ent.

6. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    You can get around the 128gb limitation by creating two primary partitions on the hard drive
    the first one respecting the 128gb limit.
    the bios sees only that, and boots happily.
    the OS sees the whole thing of course, so it's happy too.

...T

7. GJWILLY

GJWILLY MDL Novice

Apr 3, 2014

Do you have any links to that Intel data?
    The info I found says that only the second generation, 533MHz bus speed Pentium Ms support PAE/NX/SSE2 and that the first generation, 400MHz Pentium Ms do not.
    :confused:

8. javamocha2000

javamocha2000 MDL Novice

Jan 29, 2010
    Google "List of Intel Pentium M microprocessors"

I just upgraded to W8.1 on my Dell D600 with Intel Pentium M 745A SL8QZ CPU using stock BIOS Version A16.

9. AlexPPC

AlexPPC MDL Novice

Feb 8, 2008
    #29 AlexPPC, May 27, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
    Fingers UP ! for you javamocha200 !
    All the things are up and running !
    W8 on FSC 6120 is OK now !
    It cannot find a driver for the External Video (VGA), but.. I can live with this as for now !
    Great Advice !
    TNX !

PS. As per tonto11's advice: I am not sure how to create these. Because I used Acronis Disk Director 10 and it see