Support ends in a few months, where to go next?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Kim100, Aug 22, 2019.

1. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    My kind of hardware :). My initial results on 8th gen i3 and pentiums were very good(8gb single ballistix sport 2400, MX500 500gb). Ive got 9th gen G5420s and my ltsc will work very well on them :). Sticking with 1 os and debian saves me a hell of a lot of storage space, its easier to concentrate on 1 than several and all the good work in forums is being done for 10, especially the ltsb/c's. Ive wiped all my 7 and 8.1 stuff. Ive forced my own hand to make liffe a bit easier and to spend less time sorting an os, i got more time to do my stuff

2. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    #102 rayleigh_otter, Oct 12, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    You need to cut down what windows writes to a hdd, if you want a preview that helps a hdd lemmy know and i'll post a pack for ltsc at the other place. IM going through all my ltsc tweaks and updating them. Can have something by next friday at the latest.

Ive had ltsc running on amd bulldozer "quads" and it aint no slouch on them so you should be alright. Dumb question but you are on 64bit arent you?

3. HPLC

HPLC MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2016
    When support for XP ended, people said, "time to jump ship", and yet so so many people stayed. Vista wasn't like that, but IMO W7 is as best a successor to XP as there will be for the time. People will more than likely just stay on 7 until the software providers really start to cut support for programs. Software like Chrome, seems like everyone an' their grandma uses it now instead of Internet Exploder or whatever. Once the banners start popping up showing no more updates, people will begin to look for alternatives. The tech savvy who want to stay with what they have will irregardless. KernelEx and such shows the hardheadedness of some people to stick with what they have. TBH I just installed 7 on one of my laptops because 8.1 made the CPU burn itself alive, LOL.

4. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    I value simplicity so for me it is certainly best to focus only on one OS but I think it is inevitable to have to deal with at least 2 OS (one legacy and one current) according to the hardware you have contact with.

With old hardware goes from Windows 7 with new hardware goes from LTSC. I believe that the PC that runs well 8.1 will run LTSC well and the one that doesn't run LTSC well will probably not run 8.1 very well and will have to run Win7.

Win8.1 is a good OS but I see it as a prototype OS for Win10. However in Win10 microsoft got worse the OS in a way but to me 8.1 looks like an unfinished OS :p even Win10 is unfinished since not all control panel options have been replaced by options in the Settings App.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    Yes I have disabled many scheduled tasks and services, I disable everything I do not use and that does not bring significant benefit.

Yes 64 bits.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    #106 rayleigh_otter, Oct 13, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    @AeonX Ive got a 7200 rpm hdd sitting around i can test with. Will install ltsc later today so i can get back to tweaking with a vengeance. Barebone services aint no good cos you wont get internet, leave it with me, i'll post you a pack by friday. There will be some kludges so i'll give you instructions for them and all will be tested on a hdd, wd black 2.5 inch 7200 hdd. Wont be around till thats done.

10 isnt hdd friendly, they expect everyone to have latest solid state storage :moon: MS :tongue2:

7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  8. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    #108 rayleigh_otter, Oct 13, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2019
    @AeonX ya know what, sod, stick to 8.1. Unless there is a technical reason to change, w10 only supported hardware or software, stick with what you know works. Worry about w10 later, there are at least 4 new builds due(if ms sticks to their 2 updates a year plan) and a new LTSB/C. In the meantime get on and get s**t done :)

9. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
  10. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    @rayleigh_otter I was tempted to give up on Win8.1 because I am having problems with NTLite on it in various things but with Win10 I have almost no problem. I wanted to save time but ended up losing a lot more trying to debug where the problem is after using NTLite. If I dedicated myself to tweaks I think it would be over :p I will have to exclusively use tweaks without removals in 8.1 but I think it's worth it :)

11. bjf2000

bjf2000 MDL Expert

Apr 11, 2008
    I was just going to post that techcommunity link. Very interesting stuff: it's going to be a special key good for a year (with the possibility of extending it twice more afterwards). Lots of possibilities, I bet.

12. maddogster

maddogster MDL Senior Member

Mar 23, 2015
    it mentions 1yr with extension of 2 more 1 yr periods so possible to extend till 2023

13. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    When XP reached EOL about 22% of windows users were using XP and there was such a fuss that M$ had to extend that by another year. Today within only a couple months of Windows 7 EOL and over 40% of pc's out there running Windows 7, What do you think will happen? M$ knows this and they are hoping to avoid another thing like what happened with XP.
    I can see M$ caving in to continuing W7 updates with some kinda adware/spyware/tracking and key logger updates to appease W7 users until 2023.

14. bjf2000

bjf2000 MDL Expert

Apr 11, 2008
    I think the "cheaper," easier-to-get (compared to what they had first announced) yearly extensions described above are all that they're going to do. No free extensions. However, once or twice a year as needed they will put out an emergency fix that anyone can get, since they have a history of doing that in extreme situations for various retired products.

15. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    I used 8.1 a few days and it took a while using the PC to get fast I don't know why but since Win7 this has happened maybe something related to superfetch. Yesterday I installed LTSC and right off the bat it was faster than 8.1 even though LTSC had more processes and handles. So these numbers are not good for measuring performance. RAM usage on Win10 is higher too though that doesn't mean it's a bad thing.

Maybe Win10 preloads things that are used often and so even having more processes and handles in practice ends up being faster. In SSD the difference may not be big but here on a 1TB WD Blue hard disk LTSC is faster than 8.1.

I will test on an older PC with a Pentium Dual Core E5700 :cool:

16. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
  17. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    @AeonX I can go as far as i do with LTSC beause its airgapped and that aint possible for most people.

18. I would love to see an updated Windows 7 MSDN iso after EOL or release convenience rollup update just like they did in 2016 but I guess that's unlikely.

19. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    wont happen. once 7 is eol those bods will switch over to 10 but i bet that wont make an ounce of difference, 10 will still get broken with every update. mms are too big to care and too big to fail, they will keep pumping out the same old crap.