Support ends in a few months, where to go next?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Kim100, Aug 22, 2019.

1. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    I have no problem with remaining with 7, but.... I have never really thought about Win8.
    Is there a thread, or rather a comprehensive comment about the good and the bad of Win8 ?

If I remember correctly, most people stayed with 7, because it worked just fine and there seemed to be no improvement, by spending a lot of money.
    Several years more of support sounds like an improvement.
    So I would like to think through the pros and cons of 8, where is a good place to start? And where do I find how to "update"? At Ieast I want to know ....

Thanks

2. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    yeah right, and I thank you but you can be sure I know the Windows EIE bowel to the skin haha no doubt for me is one of the best windows I've used it clear that after all the necessary tweaks, I still remember that after several benchmarks with Syssoft Sandra I always got 8.9 per often while in 2016 LTSB always reached 8.3 or 8.4 ... right now I'm in "phase" Windows Server I think I discovered gunpowder because the secret is "in" from any Windows Server can believe think that's why it is modular (you add and remove just about anything) and still Dism is our friend :D:p

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    #124 rayleigh_otter, Nov 1, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    I noticed you had switched to server tigs but i prefer mainstream editions, home pro ltsc(i know it aint really mainstream but every bugger seems to use it). EI Pro aint mainstream either but ive had no problems at all with it, no installers playing up or driver issues, it acts like regular pro. not able to start messing around with new os at the moment and i dont want or need to, ive got 7 8.1(ei pro) and ltsc to choose from, i can tweak each one to buggery and get great results. and thats without any removals, maybe a kludge here and there but thats it. :cool:

if anything i have too much choice, ive got health stuff to deal with, ive got both machines on 8.1, they are running fine and im not in the mood to prat about testing s**t out. on 8.1 till new year at least.

4. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    Thank you very much, I will try it out on a laptop. There should not be any problems with an i5 4570.
    As to me the different names mean nothing, should I use pro or enterprise from theeye?

5. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    @ThomasMann Use either one, i use the Pro version without any problems, activates with @abbodi1406s kms vl all smart activation script :)

6. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    Pro and Enterprise are very similar. Not like Windows 10 in Windows 8.1 all group policies work. Some useless updates may not be offered in Enterprise by Windows Update now I don't remember and in Enterprise language packs are offered while in Pro not.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    That may be the killer diller for some but not for me as i can get en-gb iso's. A good post to point other potential 8.1 EI users too, nice one AeonX

8. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    I don't need language packs either but even if I needed to think there is another way to install them via GUI I don't remember where (maybe in the language panel that is in the control panel). For those who like to have the windows update scan totally clean better use Pro. This goes for Windows 7 as well.

9. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    #130 rayleigh_otter, Nov 2, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    I used to work with 7 Ultimate and Daz Loader. Someone said 7 Pro and Ent could use a kms tool so i switched to 7 pro then 8.1 EI ent, then pro. I tend to use a single edition only. There has been some talk of 10 Education but all my 10 work is on ltsc and has stopped there, no more o/s or edition switching for a long time yet.

I switched to 7 pro cos i could get a pro vl iso that had a single edition.

10. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
    7 Pro is the most versatile edition in terms of activation. You activate with Daz Loader or with KMS tools. Enterprise is KMS only and Ultimate retail only (Daz Loader). People use permanent activation like Daz Loader and KMS38 but use KMS to activate Office I prefer to activate Windows and Office using KMS and have only one type of activation. All reasons for using permanent activation on Windows invalidate using KMS in Office so I use KMS for everything.

If you remove all bloat from Windows 10 there will be no differences between Enterprise and Education. For my needs even Pro doesn't have many differences except for the level 0 telemetry group policy.

11. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    I like 7 because you can remove nigh on 1gb in 3rd party drivers alone before you even touch the main system components. 8.1 EI Pro cos it dont have all those store apps, same with ltsc and i can use kms on all 3 so i only need a single activation tool. :)

12. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    Use Enterprise if you need to add language packs, see AeonX's post above :)

AeonX My knowledge of language pack requirements is zero cos i never need them, i only know about what is on my radar :)

13. AeonX

AeonX MDL Addicted

May 24, 2013
  14. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    I would have kept ltsb but intels igpu driver doesnt support 1607, only a 17xx upwards :(. I stopped doing removals on ltsb cos the damn thing broke too much and kept f**king up my running system, i had to dual boot test installs with my main system as i only had 1 pc.

I can tweak ltsc to buggery so any ltsb v ltsc comparisons are void once i got my mitts on them :mml:

15. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Hi
    go ahead friend, version LTSC 2019 works as a charm can believe...:D

16. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    once its "fettled and kludged" :evil:

17. rayleigh_otter

Aug 8, 2018
    one problem is the file system, it keeps reporting usb keys as need repairing, i use them for wavs and mp3's on my hifi. somethings not right with the 1809 file system.

plus there are the audio issues others are reporting, i need to get down and dirty with ltsc but i cant right now and seeing as i have working 7 and 8.1 drivers for intels igpu i have less of a bugger to give changing from 8.1.

18. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    Hi of course here in MDL has language packages and outside the MDL also has; sorry to use out of the MDL we have to download the full package of languages that is kind a "heavy" to download on slow connections unfortunately...

19. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    hmm is simple bro why not switch to AMD like I did after more than 20 years lol and not pearly :D:evil2::p