Surface 2 Windows 8.1 RT clean install...

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by jon5798, Feb 9, 2014.

1. jon5798

jon5798 MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2012
    Hi.
    I have read a bit about the Leak-WINDOWS-8-1-RT-RTM (/threads/48043-Leak-WINDOWS-8-1-RT-RTM) and Driver integration process for Windows RT (/threads/48042-Important-Driver-integration-process-for-Windows-RT) and I was wondering, would this process would also work for a Surface 2 RT?
    I think there is something wrong with my recovery partition as I am unable to install the latest drivers via windows update without deleting oem##.inf files and re-running windows update again...I still feel there is other issues with my recovery as I seem to get alot of error in the event viewer relating to drivers, such as the tegra 4 display adapter. I would like a clean install of 8.1 using the RTM, if this is possible, would someone be kind enough to post a how to for the Surface 2 (I do not want to brick my Surface 2)?
    Thanks.

2. agent268

agent268 MDL Junior Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Maybe I am misunderstanding what you posted, but the drivers used by the current OS have nothing to do with the Recovery Image on the Recovery Partition of the Surface 2. Are you by chance trying to say you are still having driver problems after performing a Reset of the OS?

3. jon5798

jon5798 MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2012
    I was saying I wanted to install MICROSOFT.WINDOWS.RT.8.1.WITH.OFFICE.2013.RT.RTM.WOA.ENGLISH.DVD-WZT.iso on Surface RT 2. There is a guide for Surface RT here mydigitallife. info/threads/48042-Important-Driver-integration-process-for-Windows-RT...basically I was wondering if this would apply to Surface 2 as well, and how to do it. I was having problems with getting the latest updates on my surface 2 and wanted a clean install (not using my recovery image), but I have found a recovery image that someone posted online and it seems to have work, using another hack to clear the drivers and force windows update to re-apply the newest updates.

4. agent268

agent268 MDL Junior Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Gotcha. To be frank, I don't think you needed to do that. The Recovery Image on the Surface 2 is a clean Windows 8.1 RT OS image with Office 2013 RT plus just the required drivers for the Surface 2 integrated in it. The Recovery Image was created by Microsoft at the factory so it would not include any driver updates or any issues your current install had. This means running a "Reset" would perform essentially the same function as a Clean Install using the Recovery Image file which is what I think you were looking for.

5. jon5798

jon5798 MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2012
    Your most likely right...I know I don't need to, but I want to :)
    anyways...using the recovery image I found online all seems to be well...I still don't understand why I have to delete the new OEM##.inf's using PNPUTIL -d after Windows update fails in order for it to try again and correctly install the 12/10 drivers (this happens on every reset, with my image or the new one I downloaded), but whatever, its working...and I no longer get the sleep of death problem that was happening after a reset with my image.

6. jon5798

jon5798 MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2012
    Well I did it. A clean Install of 8.1 on Surface 2. The directions where exactly the same as for RT.
    My guide can be found here if any one is interested.
    forums.wpcentral.com/microsoft-surface-2/263218-clean-install-windows-rt-surface-2-using-rtm-iso.html