Switching back to Windows OS?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Ju M, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Ju M

Ju M MDL Novice

Oct 31, 2017
    After gaining help on another forum, these forums were recommended. I made the switch to Ubuntu a few weeks ago (completely wiping my disk of Windows and instead installing Ubuntu over it), and while I don't have major issues with it, I was wondering how I'd be able to switch back.

My computer initially came with Win7 Home Premium pre-installed, so I have no disk, but I have a product key. I attempted to download Win7 from the Microsoft website, but wasn't able as the software was pre-installed by my device manufacturer (HP).

I was wondering if it'd be possible for me to perform a clean install of Windows 10 (as I upgraded Win7 to 10), by downloading the ISO from the Microsoft website and going from there, as I was told it scans the hardware to see if my computer is still stored on MS servers.

Any explanations or suggestions would be appreciated :) Many thanks!

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    #2 kaljukass, Oct 31, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    If You have had once Windows 10 installed and also was registered with Microsoft account, simply install Windows 10 again and it should be activated automatically (...or automatically after You have logged in with Microsoft account).
    If not, You can use Your Windows 7 activation key. It should also work.
    But remember, during installation You must select I don't have key and Windows 10 will install without any key.
    But remember also this, that on the sticker is not activation key, but the installation key for installing if you use factory DVD or ISO. Activation data is stored into OEM machine in factory.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    With the low price of hard drives these days you might want to think about a spare to experiment with other os's
    then if you want to restore you just have to re-install your original hard drive

You have to re-install W10 on your original hard drive so as not to disturb your activation

,,,T

4. TT_ZX

TT_ZX MDL Novice

Aug 27, 2010
    Why don't you setup a dual boot system? Then you can switch back an forth without reinstalling everything.

5. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    That's a good plan too, if you've got a big enough hard drive
    100gb is big enough for an os

...T

6. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    #6 Enthousiast, Nov 1, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    If you established a HWID/Digital License for 10 by upgrading from 7 to 10 (as you say), it will be valid for the lifetime of the hardware (mobo in general).

So when you download a windows 10 Multi Client iso and you select the windows 10 edition you established the HWID for (most likely it's Home), and don't insert a key, it will pick up the HWID (no need to sign in with an online windows account) by itself when you connect to the internet.

PS, to be able to do a clean install of windows 7 and to get the original activation back, you can use daz loader to have it install the correct cert and key for the slic table inside the bios.