System Partition help for Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by privateDZ, Sep 30, 2009.

1. privateDZ

privateDZ MDL Novice

Sep 30, 2009
    Hi,I have a harddrive partition question.
    I am trying to get Windows 7 to dual boot with my existing vista OS, the problem is I already have 4 partitions on my harddrive that came pre-installed with the system. I have a C://=OS, D://=recovery and 2 hidden partitions I guess one is a 2.5gb media direct partition and the other a 70mb diagnostic partition. Oh and I have a Dell comp.

I am trying to decide what I should delete so I could dual boot and how do I go about doing this? I also dont want to loose the apps that I have installed on Vista so a clean install is out of the question. Can I use the disk management in vista to delete one and add another? What is the best to delete( I'm thinking the 2.5gb hidden media direct)? Obviously I also have to shrink my C:// to make room for W7, and I do have the recovery disks that were supplied by Dell.

Is it possible to increase the D:// size and leave the recovery on there and also install 7 onto the same partation, if I do not delete the media direct partition?

Any help with this would be appreciated. Cheers.

2. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    If you have the recovery disks as you've wrote, then I would delete all the hidden partitions (including recovery), shrunk the C(OS) partition by using Acronis True Image or Acronis Disc Director suite (these I can clearly recommend) and Create a new-n-funky D partition for Win7.

I wouldn't advise to unhide the D partition and leave recovery on it, however you can try it - the worst-case scenario would be the loss of recovery partition but you have the recovery media anyway.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...