System Recovery for Emachine w/WinXP_MediaCenter2005

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Jakey, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Jakey

Jakey MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2009
    Hi All,
    I have a hard disk that no longer boots (missing hal.dll). I have no Sys Recovery Disk as XP was preinstalled and I did not have sense enough at the time to request one. They are no longer available from emachines. Microsoft says they will sell me another copy of xp but can do nothing else. I have some floppies that will boot up system and I can access the c drive and even the recovery disk (D) but can not execute anything from there. Any ideas or help are appreciated.
    Jake

2. highspeedmac

highspeedmac MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009
    #2 highspeedmac, Nov 1, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017

Attached Files:

• Hal.7z
      File size:
      101.7 KB
      Views:
  3. Jakey

Jakey MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2009
    Thanks for the help...replacing hal.dll doesn't work. Downloaded the iso's from rapidshare and got "broken file" error while extracting w/7zip. Tried the megaload link but it had been removed. I'm in a a black hole here!

In the Johnny Rebel post, it appeared that 911medic had some disks. I tried to send her a private message, but was denied due to lack of enough posts. Could you make a contact on my behalf? Other suggestions? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Jake

4. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    #6 911medic, Nov 2, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
    Very good information for one type of recovery..Should help a few people here..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Jakey

Jakey MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2009
    Hi All, Thanks again for all your help. I want to download the torrent file(s) but do not have the soft ware. In looking at uTorrent, it appears highly technical with setting up static ip and router port forwarding (what ever those are???). Is there a free software you recommend to handle torrents? Is there an easier way to get them? If I attempt the "static ip" and "port forwarding", is this something that will get me back into the blackhole. Very nervous about this after my last experience...Any advise is appreciated. Many thanks.
    Jake

7. highspeedmac

highspeedmac MDL Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Frankly Jake, I don't use torrents to often.. So, I might not be the best one to answer your question or concerns...

But, I have uTorrent installed.. About the only settings I messed with to get it downloading and Seeding at a good speed, was the Protocol Encryption.. I set it to enable and this pretty much allowed uTorrent to use 100 % of my bandwidth..

I'm behind 2 firewall routers, plus I have a software firewall.. I didn't touch any of their settings, well only the software firewall.... Simply Allowed Utorrent to connect when my firewall prompted me....

I will say, it depends on how your network is setup..

8. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    It is not necessary to set port forwarding, but it helps. If you are not using a router, it will not matter anyway.

Utorrent is fantastic and easy..any torrent client will need a port forwarded for best speed AFAIK...

I think this is the "least technical" of any one I have used...:cool:

No static ip is necessary, only the forwarding for the router to realise the max throughput. It allows communication two way and best resource utilization.

I use a dynamic IP and it work fabulous..

9. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #10 urie, Nov 3, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
    @ 911medic, as long as your ISP doesn't enforce traffic shaping e.c.t i can only use p2p after 2am to 8am in the morning . ended up buying rapidshare account great if you can find links:) bout£17 for three months nothing really that a lot when you think about it:)