System restore not working Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by JBenal, Dec 14, 2009.

1. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    Sorry if this has been asked. I searched and didn't find a similar question.

Windows 7 Ultimate, BIOS mod activated. System restore hasn't worked since installing Windows 7. I did a clean install of 7 Home Premium, then Anytime Upgrade to Ultimate. When I noticed that system restore wasn't working I created a manual restore point. Today I was going to create another restore point after updating some device drivers and I noticed that the restore point I created last week is gone. System restore is turned on for drive C. Volume Shadow Copy service is on/automatic. The only disk cleaner I use is CCleaner and I don't think that would remove system restore points. Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

• sr1.jpg
      sr1.jpg
      File size:
      71.9 KB
      Views:
    • sr2.jpg
      sr2.jpg
      File size:
      32.5 KB
      Views:
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Hackeur

Hackeur MDL Senior Member

Jun 14, 2009
    make sure the Volume Shadow Copy service is running and set on Automatic for System Restore to work.

also if you have a dual boot system with XP, when you boot in your XP partition it deletes all restore points created in Windows 7.

3. GabRieL7

GabRieL7 MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2009
    Hey JBenal,

I have the same problem as you. I upgraded from windows xp professional sp3 to windows 7 ultimate 32-bit and everytime i shutdown-reboot my computer all the system restore points are missiong/get deleted. Its weird I don't know how to fix it. I tried moving the slider for alocated space for restore points to 100% thats all 238.22GB of my hard drive and that works but the problem is it makes each restore point to big so your hard drive fills up too fast. If you find a solution to this problem please let me know and I will do the same. Im currently talking to tech guru's on windows 7 forums and they might take it to MS tech support cause alot of people are having the same problem. I personally think that it is windows and not our computers. Please respond to this msg! Hope you find a solution!

4. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    I did some Googling and it looks like a lot of us have the same problem. After I wrote the original post I created another manual restore point and then rebooted and when I looked at system restore the newly created restore point was gone. I can't wait for SP1, because I think that there's more wrong with Windows 7 than just this. I also have been having a problem with Windows Explorer crashing two or three times a day - either right after installing a program or when I right click on a desktop icon. My system is way over the minimum system requirements for Windows 7 and I recently installed the OS, so I shouldn't expect to have these problems. Just tonight I actually considered going back to XP. :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. MrFerretKing

MrFerretKing MDL Member

Aug 25, 2009
    If you have any 3rd party defragmenters (Diskeeper, Perfect Disk), they can delete restore points if not configure not too.

6. GabRieL7

GabRieL7 MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2009
  7. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    Ugh. I sure don't want to reinstall Windows 7 again! Thanks though.

8. NoGoodNick

NoGoodNick MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2009
    Personally, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. I gave up on System Restore shortly after it was released way back when and have not been impressed afterwards. Most of the times that I need it, it doesn't work! If it doesn't work, then why the hell do I want it taking up disk space on all of my HDs?

Though I found on Windows 7 that I need it installed. Forgot why. Just remember something didn't work unless it was turned on. Probably had to reset several other things. I've kept it on several times on several machines in several iterations. Still never got it to restore a broken system when I Really needed it.

Just must be my own d*mn luck. :rolleyes:

9. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    Well, I rarely use it myself, but it just pi$$es me off that it doesn't work. :mad: Is this a case of M$ rushing Windows 7 out the door in time for Christmas before all the bugs are worked out?

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Another point is older restore points are removed depending on amount of space you have allocated to system restore it cant store them for ever.

11. GabRieL7

GabRieL7 MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2009
    Yooo JBenal,

It worked...once you click custom install select the partition and click drive options(advanced) once u click that select the partition and hit format then next. I think it is because when u hit format it removes everything from your hard drive and doesn't even make the windows.old folder because it is a CLEANER INSTALL OF Windows 7...So thats how you fix it! If any question just pm me

12. JBenal

JBenal MDL Addicted

Nov 2, 2009
    So you're saying that if you do a clean install, advanced options, format the partition (right - there would be no windows.old because all files would have been removed by the format), then system restore works? So then for everybody who did an upgrade system restore doesn't work? Seems like a major bug. Anyway, thanks for the information and I'm glad it's working for you, but it's not a big enough problem for me to want to reinstall from scratch. Next time I do install it, though, I'll give that a try.

13. GabRieL7

GabRieL7 MDL Novice

Dec 14, 2009
    No see heres the other thing, Im not sure if u upgraded from vista or did a custom install but i noticed that when i clicked "format" and it wiped my Hard drive clean, once I installed everything, its all much faster compare to when system restore was not working. Im not saying that when system restore works it makes your computer faster, but im saying windows xp must still be lingering around the hard drive because Windows 7 got 50% fast for me. Just thought i would let u know that to!