System won't boot after getting a new GPU after working for a week with that GPU :(

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Veboy, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Veboy

Veboy MDL Novice

May 19, 2011
    Hey :)

So, I got a new ASUS GTX760 OC on the new year's eve and it was working perfectly fine and to be honest, I was enjoying it. I was surprised at the performance for that price.

But yesterday, I decided to boot in my OpenSUSE installation for the first time in 2014 and when I restarted my system to go back to Windows, it just gets stuck at the 'Jmicron PCI-Express to SATA II Controller' with a 'finding drives, please wait ...' . Irony is that it was ALWAYS there, but never posed a problem. at first I taught it's the hard drive. I removed it. didn't work. did that jumper fix-everything-related-to-bios-and-cmos thing. didn't work. removed the battery, didn't work. pressed MemOK! button, didn't work. but when I put the old VGA back, everything worked fine.

I even can't go to BIOS settings with this, though when I plug the old VGA I am able to and also FYI, I tried to turn off that Jmicron thingie, changed all my SATA drives to IDE. still the same.

Here's the system's details :

CPU : AMD FX-6100
    MB : ASUS M597A Pro with build 1604 BIOS
    old VGA : Asus 9400 GT
    PSU : Green 585 Watt
    HDD : Maxtor 250 GB SATA II [ sorry don't know the actual model ]

ANY ideas anyone ? PLEASE.

2. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    Did you reset the time and date after cmos reset ?

3. Veboy

Veboy MDL Novice

May 19, 2011
    Yeah. reverted it back to 07/01/2014. but after swapping VGAs again, didn't get it to boot.

4. gomezthomas

gomezthomas MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2014
    Hi, do you have any other power supply to test in your system? or any way to test your current one installed?