sysvol folder empty due DFS problem

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Asterisque, Jul 18, 2021.

1. Asterisque

Asterisque MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2021
    Hi all,

At the moment we have 4 domain controllers. In the past someone deleted a domain controller (web-arr) in the wrong way. No we have a problem wit DFS for the sysvol replication.
    When I run "Create Diagnostic Report" in DFS management. I see the following error:
    DFS Replication cannot replicate with partner Web-ARR due to a communication error.

That's correct, the server Web-ARR doesn't exist. But how can I remove this server. This server is not listed in DFS management. The members have all state 2 : Initial sync
    Within AD I don't see any references to this server

Code:
    PS C:\Users\administrator.ASTERISQUE> dsquery server -o rdn
    DC-LANDGRAAF
    BDC-EINDHOVEN
    DC-WIJCHEN
    DC-BOERHAAVE
    WHPDC02 
    I also checked AD Sites and services.

Thanks in advance

2. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    Did you remove the server Web-ARR from "AD sites e and services" or whatever is called in English?

3. Asterisque

Asterisque MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2021
    Yes I did

4. Asterisque

Asterisque MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2021
    I don not see a namespace regarding sysvol. I have only a Replication "Domain System Volume"
    I only see manual created namespaces

5. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    I'm not really a DFS guru, the last time I used it was like in 2012. So I'm afraid can't help futher

BTW I vaguely remember I had a similar problem and likely I fixed It from the dfs manager removing the failed server from it, but I can't really detail further

6. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
  7. ch100

ch100 MDL Addicted

Sep 11, 2016
  8. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    #10 acer-5100, Jul 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
    Sure ADSI edit does things that ADUC and AD Sites and Services can't do, anyway I had to resort to ADSI edit only when the situation was really messed up, but in my eperience I never faced a situation where ntdsutil was able to show leftovers that the GUI tools didn't remove.

Personally I use ntdsutils just to seize/transfer roles because doing that via GUI is way more time consuming (the exact opposite of the previous case).

Then each one has his own experiences and the mileage may vary

9. Asterisque

Asterisque MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2021
    ntdsutil does not list the domain controller I want to remove (web-arr)
    Code:
    ntdsutil: metadata cleanup
    metadata cleanup: select operation target
    select operation target: list domains
    Found 1 domain(s)
    0 - DC=asterisque,DC=nl
    select operation target: select domain 0
    No current site
    Domain - DC=asterisque,DC=nl
    No current server
    No current Naming Context
    select operation target: list sites
    Found 1 site(s)
    0 - CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=asterisque,DC=nl
    select operation target: select site 0
    Site - CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=asterisque,DC=nl
    Domain - DC=asterisque,DC=nl
    No current server
    No current Naming Context
    select operation target: list servers
    Error parsing Input - Invalid Syntax.
    select operation target: list servers in site
    Found 5 server(s)
    0 - CN=BDC-EINDHOVEN,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=asterisque,DC=nl
    1 - CN=DC-WIJCHEN,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=asterisque,DC=nl
    2 - CN=DC-LANDGRAAF,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=asterisque,DC=nl
    3 - CN=DC-BOERHAAVE,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=asterisque,DC=nl
    4 - CN=WHPDC02,CN=Servers,CN=Default-First-Site-Name,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=asterisque,DC=nl

10. ch100

ch100 MDL Addicted

Sep 11, 2016
    This is normal behaviour.
    Try to look with adsiedit and search through the registry to find any clues. Sorry, I don't have a ready answer to this.
    If you are allowed by the business and feel confident enough, you could try to create a temporary or even permanent domain controller with exactly the previous name if ntdsutil cannot find it, which means it does not exist in the AD metadata. It is possible that by doing this and if needed by removing gracefully the new DC, you would achieve the resetting of the bad behaviour and get DFS into a consistent state.

11. acer-5100

acer-5100 MDL Guru

Dec 8, 2018
    Yep those are the two next obvious steps, diving in to ADSIedit is usually a boring and long process but leads to effective results

Worth a try if everything else fails, but I'm afraid there are some GUId involved that differs from the human readable naming