Take Ownership and Access from Right Click Menu

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by admin, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Caira

Caira MDL Novice

Jan 3, 2009
    #21 Caira, Jan 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
    I have a folder that has all kinds of files from at least 4 different Windows XP installations over the years on it. Now I'd like to change the main folders name to something that better suits all the other folders on my computer and would make it easier to find files whenever they are needed. I try to name my files and folders logically and keep them in a certain order.

Anyway now for some reason Vista decided that that certain folder and all it's subfolders are read only and it doesn't let met change the main folder's name. I've tried this TakeCommand utility and I also tried to give all possible rights to everyone to that folder and it's subfolders, but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

Edit: Okay, forget this. One of the files seemed to be in use by this one small program and that was what stopped everything. For some reason Vista didn't say that one of the files is in use. Instead it said that I didn't have permission to change the folder's name. But thank you for this thread, all of the answers and TakeControl utility. It helped me to clear some other files that had been bugging me for a while.

2. muiz

muiz MDL Member

Dec 8, 2007
    doesnt work for me :(

3. Picard

Picard MDL Novice

Mar 6, 2009
    Thanks a lot. :)

It's much better than using the old-school-style method of modifying the files.

Thanks again, you're the man :D

4. MrJimbo

MrJimbo MDL Novice

Apr 18, 2009
    Great hack!

Allows me to install Vista on my Dell Mini 9 netbook with only an 8GB SolidState drive!

Thanks!

5. eyes only

eyes only MDL Novice

Aug 3, 2009
    thanks kisses for you my man ,, really helped me,, Merci :)

6. krahul44

krahul44 MDL Novice

Oct 11, 2009
    Great man thanks a lot i solved my prob. Ur such a really nice.

7. illkillueasy

illkillueasy MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2010
    hey with wut program do i open this file? a bit ate...but i cant mod on windows 7 :(

8. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    you don't need any program windows will extract the zip file then just double click to merge the entries into the registry.

9. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007