Take Ownership in Windows Developer Preview 8102

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by 0mar32, Sep 19, 2011.

1. 0mar32

0mar32 MDL Novice

Jan 14, 2011
    I can't take ownership of files in the new Developer Preview. So how do I do it ?

2. Chris123NT

Chris123NT MDL Expert

Oct 23, 2010
    takeown /f filename

in an elevated command prompt

3. Mikeanak12

Mikeanak12 MDL Novice

Sep 16, 2011
    Mouse right click on object (folder, file), then Properties - Security, click on Advanced button. On upper side of Advanced Security Settings windows on Owner string click Change. Select the new owner. :biggrin::biggrin:.

4. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    #5 nexus76, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas]
    @="Take Ownership"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
    @="Take Ownership"
    "NoWorkingDirectory"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
    @="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

copy this code to a txt file, save and rename it to takeown.reg / if you're to lazy take that » View attachment Taking Ownership.zip

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #6 Shenj, Sep 20, 2011
    But as always, setting as runas removes "Run as Administrator" from context menu.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    runas.jpg takeown.jpg I'm interested how would you runas a dll file ... I don't see issues, "run as administrator" is still available for executables (.exe)

7. Shenj

Shenj MDL Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    #8 Shenj, Sep 20, 2011
    Oh yeah i mixed stuff up, sorry, you are right it doesn't really matter most of the time, cause .exe .bat etc have their own "runas" which overwrites the * key, so you can access Run as Administrator there.. i totaly forgot about it ^_^

Code:

"MUIVerb"="Take Ownership"
    "HasLUAShield"=""
    "NoWorkindDirectory"=""
    "Position"="Bottom"
    "Extended"=""

@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F"

"HasLUAShield"=""
    "NoWorkindDirectory"=""
    "Position"="Bottom"
    "Extended"=""

@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"
    "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant administrators:F /t"

This one is mine, pretty much the same just less ugly and hidden in the Extended Menu @ bottom.

Edit: Though what i wanted to add, If you have EnableLUA set to 0, doing it as "runas" is still wrong as you won't be able to Take Ownership of a .exe or anything with its own runas key, so in this case you want to use a different key name, but as long as EnableLUA is 1 this is not possible as as the command will not get run as admin and fail.

8. nexus76

nexus76 MDL Addicted

Jan 25, 2009
    NP my friend :)

9. spiralien

spiralien MDL Senior Member

Aug 25, 2009
    #10 spiralien, Sep 21, 2011
    Your Reg files are not ok for all languages
    For a multi language version, you must put the SID instead group name
    For example, in the French version of Windows 7, the group Administrators called "Administrateurs"
    If i use your reg files on a french version, it will not work

In your reg file, if you replace Administrators with *S-1-5-32-544, you will get a version that will work for all languages ​​of Windows

Code:

"HasLUAShield"=""
     "NoWorkindDirectory"=""
     "Position"="Bottom"
     "Extended"=""

@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant *S-1-5-32-544:F"
     "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" && icacls \"%1\" /grant *S-1-5-32-544:F"

"HasLUAShield"=""
     "NoWorkindDirectory"=""
     "Position"="Bottom"
     "Extended"=""

@="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant *S-1-5-32-544:F /t"
     "IsolatedCommand"="cmd.exe /c takeown /f \"%1\" /r /d y && icacls \"%1\" /grant *S-1-5-32-544:F /t"

Sorry for my poor english

10. JeepWillys58

JeepWillys58 MDL Addicted

Nov 6, 2010
    #11 JeepWillys58, Dec 27, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
    Dear friends,

Is there a way to do this, but changing the permissions of the owner and es folder or file in question to "everyone"?

I searched for hours and found nothing, and the traditional method takes a long time, open the properties, security, advanced, owner = set "Everyone", then permissions, delete everything and add "everyone" full control, subfolders, etc ... a lot of work ...

Anyone have any ideas?

PS 1: I've tried via admin prompt, and ICACLS takeown, but also is very laborious and time consuming ...:(

PS2: I have to do this in all my HDDs customers and 18 2TB HDDs from my file server ...:weeping:

Please help me ...

Regards
    Marcelo "Sushi"

I also tried using the Security Identifier (SID) S-1-1-0, but still giving the user administrator active as owner of the file ...

11. 8907654738

8907654738 MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2018
    One question, does anyone know how to delete the tokens and store folders in the spp folder inside System32 in Windows Developer Preview? I took ownership of them, and when I try to delete them it says that you need permission from Administrators to delete the folders and files when I'm the administrator. I also tried to use the Command Prompt of the recovery options of Windows 7, and then tried to delete them with the command del and nothing happens. What's the problem?