Task Scheduler and KB971033

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ray1222, Feb 24, 2010.

1. ray1222

ray1222 MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2009
    I am running 2 computers with Windows 7 (legal) and have installed KB971033 on both of them. Of course, all is Ok, but I was wondering if those with modified Win7 installations that installed the update and were OK for now could disable the 90 day check in the Task Scheduler to prevent any future MS checks?

I actually did this on mine just to see what might happen. Open the Control Panel/ Administrative Tools/ and double click on the Task Scheduler. When that window opens, the tree under the left side (Task Scheduler Library) can be opened to: TSL/ Microsoft/ Windows/ Windows Activation Technologies. The center window will then show the 2 WAT 90 day check "tasks". I disabled both, but it also looks like you can delete these separate entries, or even just delete the Windows Activation Technologies folder.

Of course, it remains to be seen what consequence this will have, but it seems to me that it's a good way of installing the update (when you are Ok with the results) and preventing any future checks. What do you all think?

2. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    If you have legal Windows, why are you worried about the 90 day check?

3. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    Yes please explain....
    Privacy? So i guess you do not use Google either? :)

4. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    Privacy and google... hmm I think even m$ is better

5. ray1222

ray1222 MDL Novice

Aug 16, 2009
    #5 ray1222, Feb 24, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
    (OP)
    I was just hoping to raise a point concerning dealing with the update. I actually have a system with a modified Bios, Win7 Ultimate, and OEM SLP key that when I applied this update to came out to be genuine all around. It seems there are many questions regarding the future use of this update with the 90 day check. I thought perhaps that if your system came through clean with the update installed and you disabled the task that it could be to some advantage. It's not for me and for my genuine installs that I posted this... I simply hoped that this option was something others could consider and it could be of some use.

I don't mind criticism, but I thought this forum was for providing useful information to people.