Tech support have caused my windows to be flagged as not genuine

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by skeen, Mar 12, 2010.

1. skeen

skeen MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2010
    Hello all I have been looking for a forum like this for a while and have stuck it in my bookmarks already. I wish I had found it when I first got my pc!

Anyhow, I have windows 7 64 Ultimate installed on here and it was working fine, however, I was having some trouble with a specific program which was not working. To try to get it working I had someone dial in from tech support and they wanted to install xp mode on the pc.

Before doing this they ran a program which attempted to validate if windows was a legit copy, I am not sure what this was, some kind of validator - if you know what it was I would like to know the name of it?

Anyhow since it was run my windows has been crippled, the desktop is just black with a note in the bottom right saying:

Windows 7
    Build 76000
    This copy of windows is not genuine

I tried downloading the windows loader that is on this site and referred to in the main guide and running this, it seemed to work and asked to reset, however, once windows reloaded it was back to the old croppled version.

Does anyone know how I might be able to recover from this situation, I would dread a reinstall because of all the apps and configurations I have made?

Thanks for reading

2. NoJuan999

NoJuan999 Experienced SLIC Tool Operator

Jul 31, 2009
  3. skeen

skeen MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2010
    Thanks for that final nudge its worked, awesome.

I will be sticking around this forum I think I have a lot to learn and quite a bit to share, this incident is a blessing in disguise!

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    One thing you didn't say was whether this was a genuine copy of windows 7 if it was i would be looking into it further or contacting MS before i used the loader.