Technical help needed for HP laptop salvage

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Mr Buzzard, Nov 28, 2010.

1. Mr Buzzard

Mr Buzzard MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2010
    Hello to the forum. I have two HP laptops that bit the dust with the overheated Nvidia chipset problem. Both are out of warranty, and HP will not help. I would like to be able to salvage the contents of the hard drives. One was a dv6000, the other was a dv9700. I had repaired the dv6000 only two months earlier and installed Win 7 HP 64 bit. Is there any way to to get into this drive and remove info from the registry, or perhaps image it to another drive. Otherwise, I just gave Bill some extra cash.

2. Mr Buzzard

Mr Buzzard MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2010
    #3 Mr Buzzard, Nov 28, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
    (OP)
    I guess I must have asked the question wrong. Does anyone know of a way to extract the contents of the hard drive from a damaged laptop, to some other drive, or perhaps to a virtual machine, so it can be used, or is the installation completely lost.

3. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    What in particular are you interested in? When you say "Otherwise, I just gave Bill some extra cash." is it just the Windows licence or something? If you want to reuse the key, just use the key, you may have to call to activate. If questioned just say "Had to replace motherboard and reinstall".

4. Calistoga

Calistoga MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    You can buy an adapter that allows you to connect the drives to another system through USB ;)

5. Mr Buzzard

Mr Buzzard MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2010
    Here is the picture. My grandson's laptop got broken in Iraq, and when he brought it home, he asked if the LCD could be repaired. I said yes. He had a dv6000 with Vista HP installed, and minimum RAM. I asked if he wanted to spiff up the laptop with Win 7, more RAM, and a new screen. Yes. While I was waiting for the screen to show up, Army got in the way, ahd he was gone. I repaired his laptop, and gave it to his mother to keep until return. In the meantime, the dad's laptop went tits up, so he got out his son's laptop to use, and proceeded to hasten its death somehow, so now there are two dead HP laptops, with no info. They were presented to me with black screen, no boot, no nothing except flashing blue lights. After many days reading, talking to HP, looking on forums, I realized what I had, and tried to salvage what I could from them, and now I would like to use the Win 7 Home Premium and the Office 2007 licenses that were purchased. What I tried to find out is if the HD could be imaged to some other hardware, perhaps with Acronis. I guess I didn't make myself very clear.

6. Mr Buzzard

Mr Buzzard MDL Novice

Nov 28, 2010
    Thanks for the link. I will check it out and repost. Also, thank you for the drive advice. Yes, I have access to the drive via external means. I have already extracted all personal data. Just didn't know about the licensed stuff.