Tell me the Best backup softwares for Windows 7

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by Wonder.Wonder.Wonder, Jun 2, 2010.

?

Which Backup Tool(s) are you using?

1. Windows 7 inbuilt Backup and Restore

16.2%
  2. Acronis True Image Home 2010

54.3%
  3. Macrium Reflect paid (or Free)

3.0%
  4. Norton Ghost 14 or 15 (or Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery 2010 )

18.5%
  5. Shadow Protect

3.4%
  6. O&O DiskImage

2.3%
  7. Paragon disk image

2.3%
  8. Image for Windows

1.9%
  9. DriveClone 7.0.3 (Farstone)

1.5%
  10. Others, Please post it

10.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. blackranger

blackranger MDL Senior Member

Dec 28, 2009
    Is Acronis True Image 2010 better than Symantec Backup Exec 2010?
    I see most votes go to Acronis.
    I have both software but I cannot tell which is better. :confused:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    I have referred to boot CDs of all the programs (good enough for most of my requirements) and my experience with those. I shifted to those after I found that windows 7 inbuilt backup and restore is hit and miss (images not recognised by recovery and hence backups became useless).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. userwords

userwords MDL Novice

Aug 26, 2010
    acronis is by far the best

4. kdo2milger

kdo2milger MDL Senior Member

Jan 5, 2010
    I voted for
    because there is no choice for Acronis Backup & Recovery 10

5. dabits

dabits Guest

I've been using Acronis True Image the last couple of years, only recently started using 2010
    I like it and I trust it!

6. jean_phile

jean_phile MDL Junior Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hello,
    I utilse drivesnaphot, it is really small and very fast.
    There is even no need to be installed.

PS: excuse my English, I am French.

Jeanphile.

7. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    It is only vhd, so you can just mount it & see what you have inside

sebus

8. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Even raised this problem in answers microsoft and they could not reply. Yes I know it is a vhd and images are there even though not recognised. Acronis boot cd can recover from windows 7 made vhd backups. However, what is the point in going in a roundabout and lengthy manner.

9. nicojac

nicojac MDL Novice

Mar 25, 2009
    For me, the best is : Acronis True Image 2011 !!!!!

10. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    I understand what you are getting at rather than just being able to click on the vhd file and it mounts, you have to go to disk management to mount the image. You can actually boot from vhd images with acronis for testing but it does convert it to tib file when doing it.

11. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
  12. zbteck

zbteck MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    I use Ghost 11.5 (DOS) in recovery partition (F11) and Acronis for backup to external hd.

13. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    why use two programs when one can do the same job that is just looking for bother.

14. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #96 acyuta, Aug 30, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
    I have recently installed one by one the following in VM-Ghost 15, ATIH 2011, shadowprotect, and paragon.
    Made a recovery disk of all one by one, and then went back to snapshot.
    Recovery disk is comfortable for me, after my one goofup with acronis tih 2010. Plus, no need to install (biggest benefit).
    After many goofups and after using VM WS7, I have realised it is best for me to keep the physical system light (with essential stuff) and use VM to do all the testing and usage of occassional software.
    Late in realising this and about the benefits of VM. So quick to install + SP1 beta takes care of all the updates too.

A lot of people refer to Ghost's heavy system requirements but I have found in my usage that recovery CD of Ghost is perhaps the best in terms of clarity about what is being backed up, what type, and what is being verified. Plus, similar top level clarity in recovery.

15. zbteck

zbteck MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    First. If the restoration of one of the software fails to have another option.
    Second. The process of creating and restoring recovery partition using Ghost (DOS) is automated. All I have to choose is (1. Backup 2. Restoration 3. Exit) and then confirm Yes or No. I do not know if this is possible using acronis.

16. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    That is why you should verify backup images so you know they are working and won't fail plus you can save more than one image to various locations.

17. zbteck

zbteck MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    If I remember correctly, I read cases in Acronis forum where the image was valid and restore failed.

18. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Can this solution work or does it work.
    Install any backup solution (Ghost/Acronis) in a VM (for my purpose VM WS 7 with windows 7 ultimate X64).
    Enable folder sharing between host and guest so that host c: OS (where the host OS is installed) is accessible on VM.
    In VM, run say Ghost and create a backup of C: to some other destination (that destination also accessible and shared in VM).
    Suppose this does work.
    Then can I run ghost on VM and recover the host C: OS. If not, then will recovery media CD recover the image.