Tested SLIC Dump TooKit on OEM preinstalled Vista maschine

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by TR2N, Aug 17, 2009.

1. TR2N

TR2N MDL Member

Feb 28, 2008
    Hi folks,

i have tested the SLIC DumpTooKit 1.08 a few minutes ago on the HP PC of my partner here in office. The machine runs Vista Business (pre-installed by HP). I was able to dump the SLIC information out of the BIOS and to read out the Product-Key, but the software wasn´t able to locate a digital certificate (XRM-MS).

Now my question? How the preinstalled system remains activated, when the certificate isn´t there....? Is there another way, how OEMs can pre-activate the system?

The funniest thing is, that the "dumped" Product-Key IS THE SAME like on the sticker....

2. Lenmaer

Lenmaer MDL Addicted

Jul 3, 2009
    Doesn't that mean that Vista was re-installed using the key on the sticker?
    If so, then there is no more XRM-MS certs on it, because it became a normal Vista OEM with web activation.

3. trimesh

trimesh MDL Novice

Aug 11, 2009

That sounds like it been manually activated - try running slmgr.vbs -dli and look at the second line of the dialog box

It will be something like

Description: Windows Operating System - Vista, OEM_SLP channel

If it says "RETAIL channel", then it's a regualar activation.

4. TR2N

TR2N MDL Member

Feb 28, 2008
    FAILALARM! You are right. It seems, the system was reinstalled manually.

Sorry, it´s Monday morning - the first day at work after the holidays.... ;)

5. TR2N

TR2N MDL Member

Feb 28, 2008
    So, i tested the tool on a "casefresh" HP DX7500MT with preinstalled Windows Vista Business. The Bios already has 2.1 SLIC, BIN, Certificate and Product-Key backuped successfully.

Now waiting for the new Windows 7 rigs.... ;)