Testing my WIFi

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by marchy, Nov 9, 2017.

1. marchy

marchy MDL Member

Jul 24, 2016
    hi, I have a laptop that is hardwired as of now. I would like to test the external wifi i have attached to it without disconnecting its usb connection. How can i accomplish this step bt step plz?

thx

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    With hardwired you mean by LAN? What USB connection you don't want to disconnect?

3. marchy

marchy MDL Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Let me do this again. Yes, hardwired by LAN is what i want to keep connected. I want to use my USB external wifi connection. Sorry for the confusion.

4. UmbraEmsi

UmbraEmsi Emsisoft Community Manager

Sep 26, 2017
    do you want the LAN connection active and transmitting or just plugged, because i think the LAN connection takes over Wifi.

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Polo6RGTI

Polo6RGTI MDL Junior Member

Jun 5, 2015
    Depending on the adapter that is preferred for an internet connection you can easily prioritize for example the WiFi adapter over the LAN (Ethernet) adapter and vice versa if there are multiple wired adapters.
    Code:
    netstat -rn
    Open WiFi Properties > Internet Protocol Version 4 > Advanced > Untick Automatic Metric and change to 2. Now Windows will first connect to the internet via the WiFi adapter. The same can be done for multiple adapters by changing each adapter's metric with one number higher.

I have been using this for a while now to prioritize the WiFi for internet while my two PC's are connected with Ethernet.

7. Netbanshee

Netbanshee MDL Junior Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Do you know your wifi settings? If so, make sure your lappy sees your wifi before starting.

8. DariusGG

DariusGG MDL Novice

Nov 10, 2017
  9. marchy

marchy MDL Member

Jul 24, 2016
    Thx all for the suggestions.