The 1 bios setting that will speed up your computer

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by GOD666, Jun 23, 2017.

1. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    You were talking about the drivers which are written directly to the UEFI? I have not found those to be as easier to resolve as simply formatting my computer.

We'll agree to disagree because I saw a few problems with your replies as well. My experience is that a legacy bios works just fine in most instances (if not better). I just assume it is a personal preference we don't share (nothing wrong with that).

We've also gone way off topic and I don't want to debate a difference of personal preference.

I did a full format and install of both Windows 10 and OpenSUSE Linux before making this thread. I too have not played with such settings either in a long time. I was pleasantly surprised that disabling them not only worked but worked well (system performance boost).

2. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    I edited my post with your claim that secure boot works with legacy, which it doesn't, it requires UEFI

Anyway, this could go on all day, so let's get back on topic

3. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #23 GOD666, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    (OP)
    On one of my computers, the one I am using right now does not even have UEFI (it is older) but does have a form of secure boot. ;)

Agreed.

4. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
    #24 John Sutherland, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    Just my 2 cents on comparing the speed of UEFI boot versus MBR boot: Manufacturers moved to adopt UEFI en masse right around the same time Microsoft released Windows 8, and Windows 8 introduced "fast startup", where you're booting the system from a hibernated image rather than performing a true "cold boot" like in Windows 7 and earlier. If you really want to compare apples to apples, try booting Windows 8/8.1/10 with fast startup disabled, and see just how long it can take. You can watch grass grow, paint dry, cars rust. etc.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Also a USB thumb drives must be formatted and setup to boot up in UEFI format or the UEFI boot from bios will not be recognized and will not appear in your bios boot options. Could explain the dell issue GOD666 was talking about and i said ," Could Be ". I do know if setup properly and all hardware is smiling UEFI Rocks!

6. The only reason i say that is because i had the exact same problem on one of my machines till i did some research and found out why

7. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Yea as long as the drive is FAT32 you should get the UEFI option to boot from :)

8. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    meh, i use legacy bios on all my computers / laptops. never had a need to switch.

9. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    I guess some motherboards do not have it, since I can not find it? Is there a way to check for it in device manager?

10. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    some dell machine bios have the option to select optimize settings in the bios and i believe it disables a lot of the resources that it considers none essential....now im not a big fan of disabling lets say USB or IRQ your hardware could start falling.

11. mydigitaldesktop

mydigitaldesktop MDL Junior Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Normally, if the BIOS assigns a IRQ, the system is set up so the O/S can re-assign that in whatever way makes sense. So unless the IRQ's are Forced to BIOS only, it just shouldn't matter.

The thread has been hi-jacked with a pointless legacy boot argument and no discussion of the original assertion.

There is no reason given for how disable of a hardware parallel port and presumably preventing the Windows driver for it to load makes an entire computer faster.

Faster how? Disk? CPU? RAM?

Until there is a logical reason, it is just VooDoo Science where the Placebo Effect rules everything.

12. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Just to let you guys know, ALL MSI uefi/bios have a ntfs driver built in so you can boot UEFI and Legacy mode from a NTFS formatted USB key.
    No need for Rufus which loads the driver from fat32 to load the NTFS partition for boot (which I still use)..

If your M.2 SSD is NVMe(PCIe) then you need Win10 features enabled. Legacy won't see the drive.
    So in this case I would also turn ON fastboot in the uefi/bios.
    This skips initializing usb devices, etc during post for a faster boot...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    The M.2 NVMe drives only need a driver installed during the o.s. set up if your not using Windows10

14. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Yes but not in Legacy mode, UEFI+CSM.
    But if you've got the latest motherboard with nvme why would you want to try setting up in Legacy mode.
    It just sounds like people are too scared & don't know enough about UEFI to see that's it's matured and is fine.
    There's more & more products coming out that don't have legacy sku so they only support UEFI...

15. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    I have two Z170X boards and each one has a Samsung 960 EVO ssd with Windows 7 Pro using Daz loader

16. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    The truth is that most computers out there(at least for those in developing countries) are still running on legacy, old Windows versions many people are complacent with and finding ways to install Windows 7 or lower OS on EUFI-based systems are drudgery. Not until old systems and old Windows operating systems are completely phased out the clamour for legacy will still be something to grapple with in the general society.

17. Flipp3r

Flipp3r MDL Expert

Feb 11, 2009
    Yeah your right. I must be thinking Optane or something...

18. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    My opinion if your running 8gig of ram or more a SSD with I5 or I7 tweaking the BIOS will not make any performance difference.

19. MrMagic

MrMagic MDL Guru

Feb 13, 2012
    Unless you tweak the OC section ;)