The Best disk defrager for windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by robalm, Nov 20, 2009.

1. Pliskin

Pliskin MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    C:\Windows\System32\defrag.exe ;-)

Build-In, reliable and fits all of my defragmentation-needs :D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Dutchman01

Dutchman01 MDL Member

Sep 6, 2007
    I use perfectdisk 10
    a good product that is cerified by microsoft.

and a lot better than the build in from windows.

the boot defrag is also something that does a great job to speedup the system.

3. Pikey

Pikey MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Built in one works just fine for me .. set at default and forget about it!

4. spacednow

spacednow MDL Member

Aug 26, 2009
    I have always been happy with Ultimate Defrag. I also like piriform defraggler, as you can defrag individual files with it easily, and its free. I've used Auslogics free and it has some nice features also. Great, I had to read this thread and now I have more I have to check out, I was content with Ultimate Defrag before :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    What you need to defrag after one month since official release :) just kidding never really had to defrag only after a few years for some peeps but always better with clean install:)

6. BDX

BDX MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Built-in defragger works good enough, and speed gains with commercial defraggers are arguable.

7. cyclops

cyclops MDL Senior Member

Sep 10, 2007
    I vote for O&O Defrag.

8. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    speed is the biggest thing, here is a perfect example:

I have all my servers hooked up through iSCSI SAN, since all my servers are virtual the 1.8tb drive is full of nothing but VHDs, so how could that matter.

I defragged my SAN the other day and gain a performance increase of 20%.

Here is another example: on my management server I keep a drive that is full of all my apps right now this drive is sitting at about 100gigs of stuff between ISOs of Server systems (Exchange, SMS, etc), OS ISOs, apps and the like. I just recently upgraded from the RC to the RTM on that box and never bothered to reinstall Perfectdisk. Well the time it was taking to transfer 2gb of files over a 1GiB ethernet connection was sitting at over 7 minutes with time outs every 30-40 seconds. I installed Perfectdisk on the server and the drive fragmentation was over 20%, I let PD do a defrag and a boot time defrag and the time it took to move files went back down to the normal 2-3 minutes with overhead.

So no matter how much you think you don't need to defrag a drive it is always good to do it especially with magnetic media. SSDs don't need defragmenting.

9. M3TAL_L0RD

M3TAL_L0RD MDL Junior Member

Aug 9, 2009
    #29 M3TAL_L0RD, Nov 20, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
    UltimateDefrag. Doesn't keep any services running on behind when you're not even using the program.

10. armada

armada MDL Addicted

Dec 8, 2007
    puran defrag awesome little program

11. bbz_Ghost

bbz_Ghost MDL Novice

Jun 5, 2007
    The OS defrags as necessary. The days of third party defraggers are way behind us now, since Vista came out and vastly improved with Windows 7. They're just a waste of drive space and resources now... but some people just gotta do it manually I suppose, even when such manual passes are totally unnecessary.

12. ALeXTheGreaT

ALeXTheGreaT MDL Junior Member

Nov 20, 2009
    Well, as you can see...

As many the doctors are, So many the opinions are. I bet none knows what exactly each program does, except the basics.

Usually the build in is more than enough. But I use Perfect Disk too.

13. Migz

Migz MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2009
    Same here and its working perfectly! ;) still waiting for ultimate defrag 3 by disktrix tho!

14. psyko12

psyko12 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2007
    Ultimate defrag since XP, Vista x64, 7 ult x64 does it's job well, consolidation the works

15. dlonra

dlonra MDL Novice

Aug 14, 2009
    Vopt gone ?

Is no one using Vopt anymore ? Vopt is very fast. Perfect Disk is smarter in placing files. I'm using both.

16. Tripa

Tripa MDL Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Don't know how you people organize your disks, but having a C: drive with system and programs only, and a D: drive with ALL the data works very well for me. This keeps fragmentation low.

17. psyko12

psyko12 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2007
    That's how I do my rigs, separate disk/partition for os and data and back ups xD

18. M3TAL_L0RD

M3TAL_L0RD MDL Junior Member

Aug 9, 2009
    That's how anyone does if (s)he has even little bit brains :p

19. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
  20. alextheg

alextheg MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2009