The Com Surrogate issue

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ian82, Aug 2, 2013.

1. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    I remember a while back when I installed Win 8 and I uninstalled Windows Media Player from the control panel.........everytime I would reboot I would get a Cum Surrogate has failed bla bla bla error

when I posted the problem here y'all told me not to mess around with the OS and use it as it is...

now I never had a problem with uninstalling that piece of crap WMP in Windows 7 is there a way around this in Windows 8 or must I live with it?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. odiea

odiea MDL Senior Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Have you tried to google Com Surrogate errors. Looks like .dll issues or codec issues.

3. redroad

redroad MDL Guru

Dec 2, 2011
    Install the "N" version of the OS it does not have WMP

4. eydee

eydee Guest

There's no point in uninstalling WMP or IE. They don't really get uninstalled, only deactivated, so you won't have shortcuts. You mess around with the system for no reason. If you really need a system without Microsoft crap, use Linux.

5. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    That won't activate without the use of some external tools right?

I am using the embedded product key in my BIOS on Windows 8 Singlage Language x64

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. MeMy&Myself

MeMy&Myself MDL Junior Member

Sep 5, 2012
    OCD too much? Have u tried to just delete the shortcuts and just never use it? Problem solved.

7. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    +1
    Though the OP should also select the other multimedia player to play the content by default (I know that's rather obvious,but better safe than.. ;))

8. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    OP needs to stop his bulls**t on this forum and other forums, mdl is not fking google, and about his issue, COM Surrogate errors are codec related, so its end user fault.