The Great WINDOWS 8 Give away

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Puffingmad, Oct 27, 2012.

1. tanjid

tanjid MDL Novice

Oct 28, 2012
    Truly there is no competition with MS

2. ShortOnMyDo

ShortOnMyDo MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    So people how are filthy rich don't buy Windows and have electronic gates that costs more than a car, ...and you love Apple!...Good you explained that to me slowly..

It is estimated that over 400 million people use the operating system Windows, which is about 90% of computers. The other 10% are Linux and Mac users. I guess that everyone already is using Windows...right?

3. mcbyte

mcbyte MDL Junior Member

Jul 26, 2009
    #23 mcbyte, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
    where is it written that this key can be activated for a limited time? the WMC key can be used only before Jan 31, 2012, but this upgrade key should be forever, no?

if somebody bought a Win7 machine last month, did the upgrade today, and next year he want to format, he should not buy another license..

4. thorazine74

thorazine74 MDL Junior Member

Sep 22, 2008
    MI think they are giving it away because they expect that, once its established as the main platform, they would get truckloads money coming in from the Windows Store, mimicking what Apple is doing already and up to a certain point Google and Amazon are doing too.
    Think of it, Apple is getting huge profits from their ITunes Store and they have a tiny market share as a platform, imagine what MS could do with billions of Windows 8 machines...

5. davejunia

davejunia MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2012
    They need to get Windows 8 to the hands of as many people as possible.
    Remember they are building up their ecosystem. More users = more lucrative for devs.

6. naseap

naseap MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    MS has to know that the 14.99 upgrade offer is being abused. Think about how many people that were using Win7 with the software/hardware bios mod that have now taken advantage of this upgrade offer. Like someone else said, 14.99 is better than getting nothing. At that price point a good amount of Win7 pirates are now saying it is cheap enough why not just buy it. The Win8 kms trick is good for the hardcore hacker but most of the average Win7 bios modders are not going to go that route. I have a few friends that use the bios mods for their Win7 and when I tried to tell the about the Win8 kms hack they said "screw that". I told them about the 14.99 upgrade offer and they have no problem buying a bunch of keys at that price. The so called "cash cow" is in the Windows App Store.

7. mips13

mips13 MDL Novice

May 31, 2010
    Anybody got a link to this give away?

8. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    You'll only activate the key before the January 31. After it looks 'impossible' reactivate again with Microsoft servers.

If you've an Activation Backup or an System image with the license already installed.......

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Mr Theme

Mr Theme MDL Novice

Sep 13, 2012
    I visited these days few big electronic stores in my city in Italy, just to see Windows 8 selling areas, people are strongly struggle to find a way to get it worked....
    I've tried a ASUS vivo tab with Windows RT, and i can say i'm impressed...(except inserting a Image in Word 2013, it takes a long time, resizing it manually on word sheet takes the same time for drinking a coffe...... :laie:)
    I can manage to showing to be a newbie and ask to put the Asus Eee Pad Transformer with the same specs(just i gig ram instead of 2 of RT one) near Vivo one, nothing so fashinating about Windows 8, i found Android more more usable than Windows RT, nearly on the same hardware....the few non touch Notebooks are awful to use, but easily than a touch devices:
    Sony convertible Vaio Duo with a native resolution of 1920x1080 on a 11.6" display is completely impossible to use, all is so small, and my fingers are to big for that... :roflmao: ......terrible
    HP All-in-One Touchsmart ENVY 23 works fluid and responds well....

On both above closing the Metro Apps is nearly impossible swiping from top to bottom with my finger..... i've managed to work just few times doing that gesture very very slowly....with the mouse the closing hand on center top is immediate ad closes properly...
    Switching The Music player with Video player still has bugs, at the beggining first video and then Audio works in the sametime, hearing mixed audio from both, swiping from left to right audio still suspends for mail app, or weather app, video pauses by itself.....

Just my experience with Windows 8, it was funny see people struggle to use new OS, being just attracted for a "gifted" low OS price..... Hardware it is not cheap at all

Now is understandable why the price is so cheap....

My 2 cents......

Let's see in a month time the real numbers of Win 8...... being the third selling day on the shelves it is not looking good so far....

11. Puffingmad

Puffingmad MDL Addicted

Aug 19, 2012
    I wouldn't be surprised if after this free period of WMC keys that MS will set the cost of the WMC upgrade to about $15 us, that way anyone wanting to use KMS then will be paying the standard upgrade fee anyway

That way MS still make there cash knowing that DIY KMS is already out there.
    This way those of us who chose to install new systems next year will have to pay anyway eliminating the threat from DIY KMS

Just some more food for thought :fish2:

12. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    To be realy clear now. The realy big bucks are never made from private consumers! The real money lies in companies. The many many ways of circonventing legal activation are meant for beeing nice to companies which bring the real big bucks. The private consumer usage is for spreading Windows like cancer and that's more valuable for MS as tourchering every pirate for 200 bucks. Now with Windows 8 there is the possible cash cow of the Windows Store. That there are dummy seemingly unhackable ways of licencing Windows is only to quieten the copyright lawers which belive that if they don't seemingly trie to cirumvent pirated copies so they lose all possibilities of charging for there products. Yes this sounds crazy but that's reality of the crazy law in the US of copyright :excl:

I think if the Windows Store will become a fools way of making money for MS then they will drop the price to a symbolic penny or make Windows even free for consumers for a non comercial usage in the next version of Windows. Less (legal) cost of Windows = more copies of Windows installed = more market for the Windows Store = more sells in the Windows Store.

Anybody who buys Apple products buy them because they come from Apple not berause they are cheap or expensive or they have a good quality or are technicaly supirior to other products. Almost every Apple product had a real big flaw in the beginning. The iPhone 1 had no camera or could send mms in a time where all other new cell-phones had such things. The iPhone 4 (or was it the 3) had major problems with the builtin attena. The new iPhone 5 WLan is only usable with the legacy and very easy hackable WEP-Encription. And don't forget now the iPads where you have to have a PC :D or a Mac installed with iTunes to even considering switching on this thing and then you even need to register a credit card (in some areas of this world or many people this is not realy doable) to switch this thing on and use (consume paid content which Apple takes something around 40% away from Contentprovider = App-Developer). I think the realy BadBoy of money making is Apple :excl: And should I also mention the Adobbe-Flash-Gate on iOS or the Youtub (owned by Google - the master of Android) blockage.

In Apple only one man HAD full picture of producing hardware with some kind of uniquness and market them with the full power of mind changing marketing. The quallity or price has no real meaning in placing a product in the market. Only he was able to resurect a nearly bancrupt company which he had left serveral years ago. Without such a visionary (and prophet in a way :biggrin:) of Steve Jobs Apple will lose nearly everything they have yet and I don't see anybody who can realy fill his shoes at Apple.

The most ironic thing about Apple is there logo of a bitten off apple. Bitten off apple means that this apple will beginn to rotten sooner and faster :biggrin: "Apfelputz" here called in Austria - a not compleatly eaten and more brownish getting apple which will be shortly completly rotten :p