The Holy Grail: Get WMC on Server 2011, 2012 R2 and 2016 tp4

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by T-S, Sep 30, 2015.

1. jachin99

jachin99 MDL Junior Member

Feb 15, 2016
    A quick question about RDP for WHS 2011, does WHS 2011 use "Full Fidelity" RDP out of the box or do I need RDP wrapper. I.E. shoud I expect some lag or low graphics memmory while using RDP with WHS 2011? Thanks.

2. v72dd

v72dd MDL Senior Member

Nov 20, 2016
    Can you watch IPTV via UDP using WMC? Does it even support it?

3. jachin99

Feb 15, 2016
    I'm asking because I can run remote applications from the server, and I would like a better experience remoting into the server because right now, RDP is slow

4. kibkalo

kibkalo MDL Addicted

Sep 8, 2009
    WHS has an old RDP stack, and there is no official way to update it. You may try to add package from WinSxS of server 2016

5. jachin99

Feb 15, 2016
    Thanks. Would I still need to add rdp wrapper afterwards or will adding server 2016 rdp be enough to give me a native desktop rdp experience

6. kibkalo

kibkalo MDL Addicted

Sep 8, 2009
    Wrapper is needed to add more than two simultaneous sessions without RDS CALs as I understand. It doesn’t change RDP stack version or features. So, if you theoretically would port rdp stack from 14393 or better 16299 (or final build of RS4 in two weeks), it would bring all the features.

7. crash2009

crash2009 MDL Expert

Dec 8, 2015

RDPwrapper...The complete project

8. jachin99

Feb 15, 2016
    Has anyone had any luck installing this via remote desktop into their WHS 2011 box. I have a HP MediaSmart EX490, I'm using the one click installer, and the 2nd test rights command prompt does not stay open, and the installer doesn't seem to copy the packages. I don't see my ehome folders being added in either Programdata, or Windows. If I HAVE TO I can try pulling the MOBO out of its case and attaching a VGA debug cable the PC doesn't have a built in monitor out. Thanks.

9. jachin99

Feb 15, 2016
    I ordered a stronger CPU, and I have been waiting for it to arrive to try this out because I had to tear down the server for that anyway. WMC seemed to install without any problems but I am yet to try hooking up my 360 to it. I skipped the RDP patch for the time being because I am limited to 4 gigs of ram for this machine for now, and I can't upgrade the video card either so I guess we will see how it goes but so far so good. I'm a little concerned about what will happen when I try to install HD Homerun on the computer also because I think that gave me problems last time.

10. jachin99

Feb 15, 2016
    I haven't been able to setup an extender yet so if there are any suggestions or success stories for that it would be really helpful to hear those. I'm still working on Live TV setup, and like others I couldn't get WMC to see my tuners. With some help from Gary Ryan, and a previous post here I was able to install the missing HD Homerun WMC service but I had to figure this out on my own so I would like to post instructions for those who are less technically inclined.

In order to install this service I needed a program that was bundled with Microsoft visual studio called installutil.exe. The rough gist of it is...

1. Install visual studio or get ahold of a standalone copy of the program. I copied it from a MSVS 15 install on windows 10 to my WHS 2011 machine. All you need is the one installutil.exe file
    2. Place the file in whatever directory and open an elevated command prompt, CD into this directory
    3. Copy the hdhomreunwmcservice.exe from a window 7, or 8 machine into the same directory on your WHS box. I found this file in this directory on my win 7 machine: C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomerun and I copied it into the exact same directory on WHS 2011 (If you don't put the wmcservice.exe into this EXACT directory then it will not work - I tried :) )
    4. From your already open elevated command prompt type installutil.exe "c:\program files\silicondust\hdhomerun\hdhomerun_wmc_service.exe

The command prompt should let you know if you were successful. I will subscribe to this thread, and if someone out there needs more specific instructions then I will try to provide those. I am yet to attempt live TV setup after performing these steps but I will try soon, and report back. Thanks again everyone who contributed here.

11. jachin99

Feb 15, 2016
    Even after installing the service I couldn't get WMC to recognize tuners so I tried this, and it worked: I grabbed all of the tuner related registry keys I could find under the HKLM\Software\MS\Windows\MediaCenter registry hive on a working W7MC install and transplanted them to my WHS 2011 box. Afterwards, I attempted tuner discovery again in WMC but it still wouldn't work so I then opened an elevated command prompt, and and ran ehprivjob.exe /OCURDiscovery, and to my surprise all of my tuners showed up!! I left this command window open, and opened WMC where I was able to run live TV setup. My next big issue is that even after installing shark's codec pack, and using the recommended settings, WMC tells me an error about video components not being installed. If I can just get an extender hooked up to this thing then maybe it would be useful because I'll never use it to watch live TV.

12. ruslanshchur

ruslanshchur MDL Senior Member

Sep 13, 2020
    Hi! Can anyone send me the files responsible for WMC on Windows Home Server 2011? Bc the links here are dead

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...