The last update damage windows 7 (KB974431)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pumpo, Oct 20, 2009.

1. pumpo

pumpo MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    that is not my system, the problem is with this horrid update, i have two different computers and the problems is the same, i have a laptop asus gaming, and i have a the last modern desktop and this update cant install and the system revert the process
    :mad:

2. Tlinux

Tlinux MDL Novice

Aug 1, 2009
    Bios MOD, Loader, Or Valid Key ?

3. pumpo

pumpo MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2009
    I use a a loader for activate my windows, no keys and not bios mod:eek:

4. Konde

Konde MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Updated just fine.
    Bios Mod, Acer Aspire One D250, Acer Key/Slic/Certificate.

No problem.

Attached Files:

5. SCBrigth

SCBrigth MDL Senior Member

May 9, 2009
    Here just fine too, no issues with this update
    W7 X86 with l@ader

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. AmienZero

AmienZero MDL Novice

Sep 4, 2009
    same here. successfully installed on win 7 ultimate 64 with loader.

7. Dutchman01

Dutchman01 MDL Member

Sep 6, 2007
    5 computers installed without a problem.

8. 7_eleven.hell-hole_rider

Aug 15, 2009
    The last update damaged your windows 7 (KB974431)

The last update may have damaged your windows 7 but not mine.

OSs source: untouched msdn .isos of xp, vista, & win 7 x64.
    multiple hdds, dual-bios, multi boot box successfully installed all updates < bios mod >...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. straha

straha MDL Junior Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Updated fine for me as well. Bios Mod, no loader.

10. orhtejgalen

orhtejgalen MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2009
    No issues for me either. This update worked just fine.

11. ojik.tiga

ojik.tiga MDL Novice

Sep 29, 2009
    same

my pc problem to , 64x ultimate:confused:

12. kukubau

kukubau MDL Addicted

Dec 15, 2008
    Only the security bulletin was updated, hence the date change. The security hotfix is the same, it was never updated.

13. HPG70user

HPG70user MDL Novice

Sep 3, 2009
    It confused me because when I updated it, it said it was released on the 16th.

14. Deathstryker

Deathstryker MDL Novice

Aug 2, 2009
    This updated worked fine via Windows update for me.

However, I remember I already had this installed from previous source because I saw it installed in my list of updates. Despite this, it installed again through Windows update weeks later.

You might try looking in your list of updates and seeing if you had installed it previously a few weeks ago from the leaked updates pack and uninstalling it and then installing the one listed in Windows Update.

15. led_astray

led_astray MDL Novice

Feb 29, 2008
    #36 led_astray, Oct 24, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
    This is supposed to be a stability and reliability update? You got to be kidding me. My 7 Ultimate 64-bit started acting sluggish and slow after installing KB974431.

Before the update, it booted up fast, with the desktop and gadgets loading quickly, and I could start using the computer right away.

After the update, it went into slow motion. Boot up took several minutes, with a black screen for like 30-40 seconds, then Windows loads for a couple more minutes and then it takes another couple of minutes for the gadgets and menus up with the mouse pointer "busy" circle constantly on. A long wait.

Seeing that some people have this problem but others don't, I suspect that a particular software or driver is causing the problem, conflicting somehow with KB974431 after it is installed.

But I can't be bothered playing detective, I just restored a Acronis image from before the update and now my computer is working fast again, and I hid KB974431 in Windows Updates, until Microsoft can sort it out.

16. txd

txd MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2009
    May be due to trial- activation

I got the same problem with my laptop, running win7 build 7600 x86 but was activated by replacement pkeyconfig.xrm-ms ( C:\Windows\System32\spp\tokens\pkeyconfig ) and tokens.dat ( C:\Windows\ServiceProfiles\NetworkService\AppData\ Roaming\Microsoft\SoftwareProtectionPlatform\ ) by files in build 7100 or build 7064 RC version.

The update failed after restart windows.

After work arround, i found the way to fix, hope it will be helpful for you if you're using crack-activation version of win 7:
    - You should re-copy the original files of win7 build 7600 to the folders above.
    - Run update again, it will be successful.
    - Re-activate windows by an RC key.
    :)

17. yurkennis

yurkennis MDL Novice

Mar 28, 2010
    I used to have the same problem (official license I purchased myself, Win7 HomeBasic, x86): when I installed this KB _before_ activation of Windows, it resulted in endless reboot loop as original poster described.

Here is what helped in my case (not sure if every step is equally critical):
    1) activate Windows before applying any updates
    2) install this KB before any other updates (at least it helped me to debug)
    3) allow Win7 to create 100MB system recovery partition (I didn't in my original situation)