The official "new" start-menu Thread

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by segobi, Apr 5, 2014.

1. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    AMEN!
    General Motors - Corvair
    Ford Motor Company - Edsel
    Coca Cola - NEW Coke

The only way to find out if a product is going to make it or not, is to try it. MS tried something with Windows 8 that has not gone as planned. Now they trying to bring it back in line with mainstream society. Better to try and fail than not to try at all.

Try Googling the Corvair, the Edsel, and the NEW Coke, you'll see some A-1 complaining...;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. lievre

lievre MDL Senior Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Same here. Never installed any 3rd party soft on either W8 or 8.1 and never missed the start menu. Use your keyboard with shortcut. It's so much faster.

Lievre

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. cipacipacipa

cipacipacipa MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2009
    Well in that case, with a big grin on my face and more than just a hint of deep satisfaction, let me retort in a similar manner as all the W8 fans would tell me over and over and over again: "If you like the current start screen so much, why don't you just stay with Windows 8.1 prior to Update 2 instead of crying over spilt milk in the form of the revived start menu gloriously returning to future Windows versions? DON'T RESIST CHANGE, GIVE IT A CHANCE AND GET USED TO IT!!!" :hangloose:

Because on the day the start menu will rise like Phoenix from the ashes, after nearly 2 years of waiting, I, for once, will be at peace with MS once again. :hug2:

And turning irony off for a second: if MS just gave users a simple choice, EVERYONE would be happy. But no, that would be too simple, right? Apparently all they wanna do is antagonize.

4. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I still won't use it. I use shortcuts and keyboard commands. Start menu literally only shows up for like half a second between pressing winkey+x and a to open admin prompt

5. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    off topic: yesterday we got rid of some "brownies" and I have such a feeling that ....

6. sevenacids

sevenacids MDL Addicted

Aug 17, 2012
    Well, if they really reintroduce it, I hope they make a better job than with the reintroduction of the Start button and allow the user to actually choose whether he wants to use the Start screen or Start menu. This would only be fair if they are honest and don't want to piss anyone off.

Personally, I don't care if they bring it back. I used the Start menu very rarely back on Windows 7, and believe me, I've got a ton of applications installed, too. Win-Key and start typing is your friend here, it's much faster than scanning through any Start screen or menu to launch an app. The most important stuff is pinned to my Taskbar anyways. And for system-related stuff, there's Win+X.

7. ah-le-le

ah-le-le MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2012
    That is why the start menu in Windows 7 sucks, yet everybody thinks it is the greatest invention since sliced bread. I have forgotten that I had installed programs because you never see them in the 7 start menu. Everything is restricted to a small corner of the screen. Malware could be installed, and I would not even notice it. Although not the prettiest method, the XP-style start menu is the most functional for me.

8. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    I prefer a start menu, i don't want to keep flicking between the start screen and the desktop to access apps. just click the good old start button and having it all there in a nice tidy compact menu was perfectly fine imo. not dated at all.

program manager would be dated if that was brought back, but start menu? no, don't think so. i wouldn't mind a mixture of tiles and classic menu.

just don't see why i should have to swipe the edge of my screen to shutdown or restart, it's annoying enough as it is, coming up when you don't mean to bring it up.

start menu = click > click > job done

start screen = drag > swipe > click > click > click

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #29 pisthai, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  10. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I disagree...
    Win81's search feature, once you know how to use it, is actually INSANELY good.
    Winkey+S searches all indexed locations and system functions
    Winkey+F searches just your user files

I use winkey+s to bring up regedit so I can use ctrl-shift-enter to run as admin a lot
    I do the same with cleanmgr

11. Zardoc

Zardoc MDL Addicted

Feb 7, 2008
    I don't like the Win search (except for Outlook). I like everything (by Void). I use the start menu. It's just a matter of perspective. If we were all alike, it would get boring. :eek:

12. RanCorX2

RanCorX2 MDL Addicted

Jul 19, 2009
    so much hate against the start menu..o_O

I get the feeling it's like battlefield, everyone who started playing from BC2 or BF3/4 thinks it's awesome but can't see that's it's been ruined by "improvements" made to the series...

metro was designed as a tablet interface, where does that fit in with using it on a desktop computer that doesn't have a touch screen?