The right to complain

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by KnowledgeableNewbie, Oct 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    #141 pisthai, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    The preposterous thing about that is many don't likely see this Windows 10 surrounded with telemetry and espionage complains as a'Technical Preview' meant to forestall some problems and to understand what Microsoft consumers really want to better serve them. I am a bit perturbed by the views of those who disagree with any form of transfer of information regarding this present release.

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Fact is that many user of the TP would like to use it as their Main System, which is a very bad. If they would just follow what the developer were telling, there would nothing to complain. So, instead of get the system to know and although to get a much as possible infos about the way MS is using for to get the data, they invest a lot of time for nonsense just to complain and made other worry as well.

Fact is, all the basics of the so called 'Data-Transfer" back home to MS, MS had declared in the release notes to the TP. Who didn't like that, should just keeps their hand's and fingers off! Idiotic to still carry on and use it with sensitive data despite the Warning of the Developer and carry on to complain!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    I see the one trick pony is still a one trick pony.

5. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    I don't realy care about data mining it is common knowledge that they now everything about you if they want ! If the goverment think you are a potential danger to them for sure that they put people on your line and they will find out everything about you :D M$ is a compagnie who want feedback about their software and yes they track everything you do but it is the same with internet a soon as you vist a online store next you get spammed with the article you have visit in your browser

So it is a fake feeling of security that you are safe behind a firewall or your av software i know that everybody got the right on their own privicy and i find that perfectly in order but don't think that when you are connected to the internet that you privicy will not be violated ! And sure that is not fair in eather way.

So that is enough said about this post have a nice day peops :biggrin:

6. Mobocratic Asylum

Mobocratic Asylum MDL Member

Mar 22, 2010
    That's quite some overly emphasising posts here. Hey, W10TP is just a free toy for us to play around with in VM or on another PC.

Relax and enjoy the fun, 'k?

7. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    I think most people understand that MS is collecting the telemetry data.
    A lot of us just don't like it since there's no choice.
    Personally for me, I like to choose my level of privacy invasion.

If I want to look at boring family banter I can load up chrome and visit facebook.
    In that instance I fully expect facebook to use anything I "like" to build some sort of profile and try to sell me crap.
    It doesn't bother me that much. I have ad blocker to block most of the annoying adds that use that facebook advertising data.

Youtube is another site where I expect my preferences to be tracked and catalogued.
    Again it doesn't bother me that much because I just ad block their stuff.

It's different for an OS, though.
    There's no choosing your level of privacy invasion if they don't give you options for which telemetry data they are allowed to record and send to ms.
    This means if I want to torrent something, I'm on a list somewhere as someone who runs utorrent.exe
    If I want to search through a torrent site for various things, those also get catalogued.
    Do I assign certain firewall permissions to programs? catalogued.
    All of these things, they give no choice over the matter except if you use the software, you agree to the privacy invasion.

So, honestly, I don't use Win10TP.
    I'd love to help them create a better OS, but there's no way I'm going to give up my privacy like that.
    It's too bad, as well, because a lot of very knowledgeable people have a very similar attitude about their privacy.
    There's missing out by not giving us the option to choose our level of privacy invasion.

I don't know about you, but I can think of a million suggestions for improvements, but MS is never going to hear them if they don't respect my privacy.

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Since some years Microsoft collects data from computers which running their software. Latest since Vista there hidden accounts of MS on the RTM's etc, Keyloggers on Betas and for sure more.

Unlike those older Software, Microsoft now explains in their TP-Release Notes that it's using logging apps for to retrieve data from computers using the TP. In realtity: NOTHING NEW! What's the result of that openly given infos from Microsoft? An outcry but to follow that although give advice for not to use any personal or sensitive data in that OS!

It may would be interesting (for sure for Microsoft!) to know how many of the users of Windows Operating System are really owing an legal License?! 50% of the MDL Member? Or more? Or less? I tend to say: Less than 50%, but that's just my personal thinking and could be wrong! Maybe it would/could be an interesting research for to check about how many of those user's are intent to use pirated version of MS software and/or working on it to 'crack' it open for to bypass, or should I better say: cheat Microsoft for to use their product('s) for free?!

Ok, that didn't counts for Windows 10, which isn't released yet as final and therefore sold under License terms (yet)! But look at Windows 7 and even Windows 8 and 8.1 (where the cost was down a lot already) how many were admitting on this forum to use an pirated version?! A quite high percentage and the dark numbers will even higher!!

Fact is, if the users were as honest and concerned as they show, there would much less complains because of the NO NEED of those. There so many very knowledgeable members at MDL, while quite some of them didn't really could be respected because of the way how they Show Off, unfriendly communicating with others, forgotten that even they had need to start one day from Zero, and, and, and!

Me think it's really time for to start to take first a look at the rubbish in front of our own door before even try to look at the door of others.

9. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    The problem is that some of us do actually run 100% genuine software even though we don't care about the Virtual Machines we run with less then legal copy of Windows. Those of us with genuine copies of windows should be able to opt-out of the Telemetry / user feedback. In the case of windows you really can't even though it says that you can.

We need a way to disable the telemetry and gives super user functionality to the user. This way you now have full control over the OS that you legally bought.

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    I would support that in FINAL Versions all time, but TP's, Alpha's, Beta's and Pre-RTM's! As long as the user didn't uses an legally owned License, he didn't has any rights. Special in applications (which includes OS's) as long as not released as finals, the developer has all rights and it totally up to the developer what he inputs and how that will be used.

To be honest, did you really think that's MS only who works with logging apps? Whats about Game Developers? Computer Games a huge business and many of those working with Beta testings etc.! Do you think they wouldn't use logging apps?! And that's just about one kind of apps!

And never ever forget: You NEVER bought an OS or Apps, you just pay for an License for to use as long as you use it within the limits of the License Agreement and didn't alter those software outside given limits. The Owner of that OS and/or Apps is still the Developer or Holder of the intellectual rights of that Software. If you bought an Software you're the only person who has ALL rights whatever to do with it. You'll although have the full Source-code of that software with all related documentation. Or you're the person who developed that software, than you're although the owner of it. Regarding any of the Microsoft Software, the only existing owner is Microsoft!

11. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    I agree to disagree. You are given rights to use the software then are licensed to use it.

That gives you full rights to do whatever you want to the operating system. Also don't give me that crud about well you signed a EULA because that has never been enforceable.

We could talk about this all day splitting hairs about what you can and cannot do on windows. However that is not the point. The point is that if you have the tools to disable functionality that is morally questionable on a system.

Should you?

12. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Sorry I disagree fully. But a discussion would not bring any result if used rights and law are denied.

Have a nice weekend.

13. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #153 Smorgan, Oct 17, 2014
    It is nice for this time of year thanks :)

That being said fortunately we do have precedence we can draw off of. I believe that in this case we are trying to jail break windows thus it is both ethical and right to do so. Similar to the jail-breaking/rooting of Phones. The problem is that legally you own every part of the computer meaning in order for the operating system to run it must have access to your hardware. This presents an issue of how can an operating system function without the permission to access the hardware which belongs to you? Along with all user generated material which falls under copyright law itself.

This is an interesting dilemma which warrants debate. I respect your view and offer this up in terms of a reasonable counter.

14. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012

don't think people on MDL are pro data mining and if you put words in it like morals and ethics who are you to judge :eek:

15. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    #155 endbase, Oct 17, 2014
    The point is you don't respect other points of view in my opinion you talk about atacks on your opinion and now you are discussing my opinion ?

So what will it be ;)

16. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    Please do not insinuate that MDL users are idiots.
    We may disagree on aspects of things from time to time, but none of us are idiots.
    Just bear in mind that all of your opinions are subjective, not objective.

17. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    murphy, actually I think he's right, we are becoming stupids here at MDL... but just for sole fact of responding at his provocations. Please ignore him... those words of him are too much imao.

18. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    #158 Hadron-Curious, Oct 17, 2014
    Can you really prove beyond reasonable doubt they are mining data apart from information they said would be collected to better their services? You have every right to opt-out from participating in the feedback if you think your security can not be guaranteed.It is as simple as that.

19. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I think this feedback thing has been played out by some people who believe it is being used for ulterior motives. However, 'Technical Preview' is basically meant for those who would follow the rules as laid down on the tech giant Privacy Policy and Terms. Microsoft has been very assertive on them in their 'Insider Program' participation.

I am only speaking my mind on what I observe concerning this argument.

20. PaulDesmond

PaulDesmond MDL Magnet

Aug 6, 2009
    I knew an even better way .... :p