The Windows 7 SP1 USB Driver Bug (what it is and how to fix it)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Enigma256, Feb 6, 2011.

1. bjf2000

bjf2000 MDL Expert

Apr 11, 2008
  2. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    See: [post]380371[/post]

3. charlsey

charlsey MDL Junior Member

Mar 22, 2010
    #43 charlsey, Feb 26, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
    i run the batch file to upgrade those usb drivers but only the usbport driver was updated.

4. jusilusi

jusilusi MDL Novice

Jun 28, 2009
    Many thanks for the post, Enigma.

Performed the SP1 upgrade with different results:

1 Motherboards with Intel G31 chipset showed new driver version.
    2 Laptop with Intel 965 chipset showed old driver version. Rectified by applying the patch.

Best regards.

5. Squall-Leonhart

Squall-Leonhart MDL Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Virtualbox doesn't seem to have the issue on fresh install, but some X58 owners have definitely had the usb files unsigned from a fresh install.

6. kt81

kt81 MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2011
    Hi guys,
    i copy the 64bit batch file into C:/Windows/System32
    and i double click it ?

I have a error msg and i click ok
    after restart pc and the usb files still remain same old version

7. Enigma256

Jan 17, 2011
    pendmove is not the batch file. pendmove is a tool used by the batch file. You should probably read the Wikipedia entry on batch files so that you know what they are and what they do. Also, the batch file can be located anywhere (doesn't have to be system32), and you need to run it from an elevated command prompt.

8. kt81

kt81 MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2011
    thanks
    sorry i guess i too newbie to know how to run the batch file

9. LoL4LoL

LoL4LoL MDL Junior Member

Aug 9, 2009
    Great post! Works like a treat. Many thanks. :)

10. MrG

MrG MDL Expert

May 31, 2010
    I used the SP1 update that I downloaded from TechNet.
    I just checked 2 of the 3 files in the System 32 folder (that you posted about) & they were both updated.
    usbport.sys - 6.1.7601.17514
    usbehci.sys - 6.1.7601.17514

The older & newer versions are both in the winsxs folder for the above too.

SOoo it appears that I am OK w/ this bug.
    I am using the USB 3.0 ports mostly if that makes any difference.

11. tRO

tRO MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2008
    just spotted this thread which makes me think about the issue related to USB3.0 on a ExpressCard
    before update to SP1, my USB3.0 HDD enclosure was working flawlessly on a 2 ports ExpressCard
    however, enclosure started to disconnect (dropping out) in a random occasion, 1min, 3min or so.
    having tested a couple USB2.0 devices on the ExpressCard, same situation happened
    USB3.0 driver being used 2.0.34.0 and older up to 1.0.19.0, firmware 3027, 3025

12. chinobino

chinobino MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
    #52 chinobino, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
    Nvidia 790i Ultra chipset, used the SP1 installer exe, all 3 files not updated - ran the batch file and the files have been updated TY!

13. aznkid25

aznkid25 MDL Member

Aug 20, 2009
    I noticed that winusb.sys does not exist in my System32 folder. Is this a bad thing? Where can I download it?

14. Enigma256

Jan 17, 2011
    See post #7, on the first page.

15. Libra

Libra MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2011
    I just installed SP1 on a Windows 7 64 bit computer today through Windows Updates. Afterwards I came across this thread.

The two files you mention are the old version in System32\Drivers.

I did not install hotfix KB976972 and I did not do any cleanup after SP1. Does that mean my computer will not be affected by this USB driver bug?

Thank you.

Sincerely, Libra

16. Enigma256

Jan 17, 2011
    Short answer:
    It is probably affected, but only in a very minor way, and no action is required.

Long answer:
    There are, generally speaking, 5 types of SP1 users.

1) People who installed SP1 using an integrated ISO
    -- not affected in any way

2) People who updated to SP1, but due to the configuration of their hardware, SP1 successfully updates all driver files*
    -- not affected in any way
    -- the fix won't do anything bad if you run it

3) People who updated to SP1, who did not hotfix their USB (e.g., KB976932) and/or who did not do a post-SP1 cleanup
    -- affected by the bug, but not in a major or important way; you'll just have a slightly outdated driver, but there is no loss of functionality, and your system will continue to function properly
    -- a fix is optional, though not necessary

4) People who updated to SP1, who did hotfix their USB and who did a post-SP1 cleanup
    -- affected by this bug in a critical way; there is a degradation of USB functionality
    -- a fix is necessary

5) People who updated to SP1, who have a NVIDIA USB controller and who not install KB976932 prior to SP1 (i.e., if you never ran Windows Update prior to SP1)
    -- affected by this bug in a moderate way; you won't be offered KB976932 since you have SP1, but since SP1 did not update your driver file, you will still be exposed to KB976932
    -- a fix is recommended, though not necessary

You are probably type #3 (very minor problem, no need to run the fix, though you can if you want to), though you might also be type #2 (if you happen to be one of the few to have immune hardware). (And if you never installed updates through WU prior to getting SP1 from WU and you have an NVIDIA motherboard chipset, then you'd be #5.)

* n.b.: From the user reports in this thread, it seems that a small subset of users do not appear to be affected by this bug. I suspect that this is hardware-dependent--i.e., certain hardware configurations are immune to the bug. However, since most of these users did not report what their hardware was, there is insufficient data with which to identify commonalities and identify what hardware configurations are immune. If I were to make a guess, I'd say that people who have USB3 are immune to this bug, but that's just a guess.

17. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    There is in fact another situation:

6) People who updated to SP1, who have an NVIDIA USB controller and who DID install KB976932 prior to SP1 (by normal Windows updates) and who did NOT do a post-SP1 cleanup

In above situation (like me) 2 usb* drivers do not get updated

sebus

18. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
    Microsoft should really release a fix for this, maybe something for patch tuesday?...

19. Squall-Leonhart

Squall-Leonhart MDL Member

Jul 23, 2009
    i think enigma should update his first post, now that there are cases of this occuring with a clean install from the technet iso's.

20. Enigma256

Jan 17, 2011
    #60 Enigma256, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
    (OP)
    That's falls under group #3, in terms of both preconditions and results: The preconditions for #3 to not specify and are agnostic to the state of KB976932 (unless you fall into group #5), and as for the outcome, your USB works, your drivers are still signed (so there's no danger of losing functionality), and the KB976932 problem is patched, so your only problem is that you have an outdated driver file (except that it's not SP0-RTM), and that's not very serious.

That is, quite literally, impossible. The 7600 version of these driver files are nowhere to be found on an official integrated ISO. It can't pull an old version of the file out of thin air. Furthermore, there have been no reports of this sort of thing happening (and even if there were, I'd be highly skeptical of them, since, um, this is still impossible). Perhaps you are confusing this with the known problem of the device manager reporting an incorrect file version (a cosmetic bug which I had discussed at length in a separate thread).

They should. And I suspect that they will, in due time. I see that someone had already reported this in a TechNet forum and that a moderator had seen it. But the fact of the matter is, while most people are affected by the bug, in the vast majority of cases, the problem is very minor and inconsequential, because the vast majority of the people will never run DISM /Online /Clean-Image, and of those who do, the vast majority of them will have Intel or other non-NVIDIA USB controllers and so will probably not have hotfixed USB drivers.

So while I do expect an official fix eventually, I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you. Take, for example, the problem of KB978637, which affected people in a far more visible way. For people who followed the progress of this problem in the blogs, Microsoft was notified of the bug on June 29 of 2009. The bug was confirmed and fixed in the source code just one day later, and it was promised that this it will be released via WU some time after RTM (remember, June 30 was still two weeks before RTM, but it was too late at that point to get a non-critical bugfix into RTM). Finally, KB978637 arrived in WU nearly eight months later, in late February of 2010. And from the file timestamps, the changed files were compiled in late December 2009--almost half a year after the problem was fixed in code (it takes time in any major software project--multiple rounds of reviews, tests, etc.--before source code changes from a developer gets merged into the trunk and eventually into a tightly-controlled branch like LDR and an even more tightly-controlled branch like GDR).