The Windows 7 SP1 USB Driver Bug (what it is and how to fix it)

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Enigma256, Feb 6, 2011.

1. Corrupt

Corrupt MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2009
    My system (Dell Inspiron 1545) is not recognizing my USB flash drive.
    I m using Windows 7 Sp1..Installed it using ISO image from MDL
    Every time i insert the flash drive, it asks me to format it and when I Click on Format option... it hangs :S
    I even run patch but no progress :(

help plzzzz...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Enigma256

Enigma256 MDL Senior Member

Jan 17, 2011
    Then this is the wrong thread. Not all USB bugs are the same; the one in this thread is very specific in its nature, and you obviously are not affected by this one. Keep in mind that USB drives do not necessarily last forever and that they will sometimes die. If you want to discuss this further, do so in a new thread.

3. abounesrin

abounesrin MDL Novice

Mar 8, 2011
  4. BrollyLSSJ

BrollyLSSJ MDL Novice

Jan 18, 2011
    Thank you for the Tool. Worked without a problem on 3 machines.

5. dennisbrown

dennisbrown MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2011
    guys. i've unstabble mousehz maybe is this problem i have like 300-1000 when i set to 500hz! Also have Mouse and Keyboard lag @ W7 with my asus g53JW! when i run this fix.. it gives me an error!

6. fanfoxle

fanfoxle MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2011
    after I update my OS from win7 to sp1 version, my mouse(logitech mx518) has always been disabled, especially when I was playing FPS games such as CS1.6 and bulletstorm...and after a few seconds the mouse has been recognised again, it is so disgusting...lots of my friends met the same problem.
    and I have used your .exe file and the .bat file, but they dont work, and that software shows my 3 sys files are the latset one.
    so,what can I do next, need help!

7. Enigma256

Jan 17, 2011
    As I have noted before, not all USB problems are the same, and just because you have a USB problem post-SP1, it does not mean that it's this USB problem. Especially if it's mouse-released. All the mice that I know of use USB1, not USB2 (mice are very low bandwidth), and the most common scenario of this bug is the degradation of USB2 to USB1, which, of course, has no effect on mice. If you are having mice problems post-SP1, please do not hijack this thead; start a new one.

8. fanfoxle

fanfoxle MDL Novice

Mar 13, 2011
    :(whatever, thanks for your help!

9. cconrad

cconrad MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2011
    50% of my computers were affected, but fix didn't help my symptoms anyway

Two things:

First, can you clarify what is meant by the "integrated ISO"? I assume this means an ISO of Windows 7 in its entirety that includes SP1, not the ISO of the service pack itself which you can get from Microsoft at www[dot]microsoft[dot]com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=c3202ce6-4056-4059-8a1b-3a9b77cdfdda, right?

I ask this because one of the proposed solutions for a problem with iTunes 10 under Windows 7 x64 SP1 is to uninstall SP1 if it was installed via Windows Update, and install it via that DVD image instead. But in this forum you seem to be saying that the installer on that DVD would be just as bad. (I have verified that the installer on the DVD is the same as the standalone windows6.1-KB976932-X64.exe file that is available through the same link above.)

Secondly, I'd like to report one PC that the service pack worked properly on, and one that didn't:

I installed Window 7 x64 SP1 via Windows Update on two computers. The updated drivers were properly installed on my ThinkPad laptop, but on my home-built deskptop PC two of the three files were not updated to the correct version.

My laptop is a Lenovo ThinkPad model 7662, Intel Core Duo T9300, and uses Intel ICH8 USB controllers.

My PC uses an AMD Phenom II X4 955 processor, and two kinds of USB controllers, according to the report in MSINFO32: "Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller" and "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller". So I don't know who made them. I think the motherboard is this one: ASUS M4A78T-E. I think that's an AMD chipset, but I'm not technical enough to know if that means it's AMD USB controllers too.

The problem I was trying to solve involved iTunes 10 freezing up when plugging in an iPhone. I ran the tool at code[dot]kliu[dot]org/.etc/7601usbfix/ to update the files on the PC, and the update was successful, but the iTunes symptoms didn't go away. I'm working with Apple on this and we've tried just about everything.

I've uninstalled SP1 to see what that does, but I note that two of the three USB files stayed at the newer versions. I will then reinstall SP1 from the DVD image I linked above. I don't do this because it makes any sense, only because others have reported that it helped (see, for example, discussions[dot]apple[dot]com/thread.jspa?messageID=13271343#13271343).

10. Enigma256

Jan 17, 2011
    @cconrad,

I'm sorry, but as the first post of this thread indicates, the problem addressed in this thread by the 7601usbfix utility is very narrow in its scope. It affects only people who updated to SP1 and then ran a post-SP1 cleanup (either using DISM or using the disk cleanup wizard to remove SP1 backup files). And its symptoms are very narrowly defined, too: either a degradation of USB speed from USB2 to USB1 speeds with ALL USB2 devices, or a general loss of USB functionality with ALL USB devices.

Unfortunately, I have noticed that people have been posting links to this thread in a lot of places around the web, suggesting that it could fix whatever USB problems cropped up with SP1, where in fact this thread addresses only one specific (and relatively narrow) USB problem, and it would seem that your problem does not fall within this scope.

11. cconrad

cconrad MDL Novice

Mar 24, 2011
    Fair enough. Even Apple engineering thought it might be relevant, so I tried it.

And in any event I gathered from the earlier posts that there was some interest in knowing which systems the SP1 install did not mess up on, hence my report about my ThinkPad.

12. otti

otti MDL Novice

Mar 27, 2011
    I had exactly the described problem after cleanup. Slow down of USB ports.

I run the 7601usbfix.exe tool and it identified the files for the update. Then i rebooted three times, but the situation doesn't get better. Run the 7601usbfix.exe tool again and it still shows that the usbehci.sys needs to be updated. Reboot three times again, the problem was still there.
    Then I checked the driver System32\drivers folder and there was an usbehci.sys from 2009 and a usbehci.sys.usbfix from 20.11.2010.

It seems, that something is blocking the update. Is there a way to do it manually? I have AMD W7 64bit system running.

Thanks for any help.

13. otti

otti MDL Novice

Mar 27, 2011
    Thanks for the help. I have tried solution #2 with an USB to SATA adapter connected to XP Laptop.

When I try to rename usbehci.sys, i get an error "accsess denied"

But I can rename usbport.sys without any problem! I have never done anything special with the system. Used Administrator account on both systems.

14. Enigma256

Jan 17, 2011
    Try resetting the NTFS permissions on the file and make sure that it's not read-only...

15. otti

otti MDL Novice

Mar 27, 2011
    Finally I figured it out.
    The usbehci.sys was onwned by "TrustedInstaller" and not by Administrator. And the Administrator was missing in access list. I changed the Owner to the admin and granted also access to the admin and tried 7601usbfix again. Still no success. I tried to rename the file via USB/SATA adapter and was now successfull.

Strange, strange, strange. Have never touched the drivers folder before.

16. GanjaStar

GanjaStar MDL Novice

Apr 10, 2009
    Just a note to everyone. the tool reported that I am unaffected by this problem. However, none of the USB ports worked after sp1 install, and the brute method by deleting all usb ports and restarting, fixed everything. the mouse and all the usb ports work again :)

17. Enigma256

Jan 17, 2011
    As I've said multiple times in this thread, this thread and tool are aimed at a very specific USB driver update bug resulting from the SP1 update. Just because you were not affected buy this bug does not mean that you are unaffected by all USB driver issues.

Uninstalling and reinstalling your system's USB (or other misbehaving hardware) is a fairly general troubleshooting technique that can address, in addition to this specific problem, other problems as well.

18. blegs38552

blegs38552 MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2011
    Regarding this:
    Update: There is a much easier (and safer, and fool-proof) way to fix the problem. kliu, the author of pendmove, ei.cfg remover, HashCheck, etc., has posted a tool to check for the problem, and apply the fix if the problem exists.

Will this required a reboot (or maybe 2) after i run it, and will I be prompted to reboot?

19. TechNet

TechNet MDL Novice

Apr 4, 2011
    Thank you for this because I initially thought there was a problem with my external HDD and got int touch with the manufacturers of the external HDD. Do'h! works and no more problems with USB.