The Windows Activation in Depth

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Smorgan, Oct 18, 2013.

1. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    I corrected my post. (I'm not native english)

2. lnatan25

lnatan25 MDL Novice

Jul 26, 2008
    Nothing to correct, I agree with what you said. :)

3. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #43 Smorgan, Oct 19, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
    (OP)
    To put it frankly I agree however this would put me at odds with staff over how much detail should be mentioned in the Hacktivation / Cracktivation methods. I'm trying to go into the research while also not having people make up there own tools and complain here about it. In other words its for Research Purposes only and not to be used by people to make there own crack which would ruin their OS (Hint Virtual Machines).

I'll answer why its more then the tokens.dat / Data.dat now.

The Licensing of the OS makes up a considerable portion of some 20+ files on the OS which directly attribute to their individualized tasks in what they do for the Licensing Matrix.

Did I just coin a new term called Licensing Matrix? Yep, imagine a web of files where at the center is the SPPSVC which branches outwards going into the Tokens folder and even having such things as what files actually carry out the activation of the OS. That is what I was alluding to.

Now gimme a list of stuff you want to see in the thread as I do have the notes to probably explain and answer most everything. I'll post the questions in the main thread while answering them.

4. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    #45 KNARZ, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    I wouldn't worry about people who might make up there own tools. In a community good tools will be public, bad tools would go down. And even bad tools can have a worthy attempts.

e.g. I never read in detail how a Key determs which edition of windows gets installed. Now I know how, but it was a long road and learned it all by myself. In relation to the different SKUs/Channels like Retail, OEM:SLP and so on is this some minor but relevant part. (The information within the xrm-ms files (may in compare -- different lines between trial, retail, oem:slp (or even windows embedded full offline activation))

This would be a nice start... and even some detailing information about tokens.dat and data.dat is worth some lines (contains the SKU xrm-ms file and the 'activation' info). And than especially my favorit registry key
    Code:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ProductOptions
    and the usage of this value while running the system.
    (The key is protected and generated/refreshed by sppsvc once in a while, but all queryes by the system are related to this key and not the token. The token is the basement/origin for this protected value - It's kind of used summarized license information. --> If the Value says your system is activated, the system acts activated as long as sppsvc refreshes the value over hashed/signed tokens.dat information)

It also would be nice to know what exactly happens if we type a Product Key within slmgr -ipk. Which files are working together and how are they related to each other (the whole SPP stuff) (--> and than we don't have to start at the point where we start to explain how a key determs to a SKU). How is the signature check be done within sppsvc with the xrm-ms files.
    (Sidequestion: What certificat is used while applying a SKU (xrm-ms (-->the signature)) and can it maybe replaced with some selfbuild / testsign certificat?)

With the Matrix you allud to:
    Code:
    \Windows\servicing\Editions
    right?

If we talk about activation we always also talk about the SKU information. It goes hand in hand or like a handshake as the information in the XRM-MS file is the (if i'm write) the "Public-Key" while you receive over regular activation your matching privat-key. This matching pair than activates your machine. (of course in some kind of relation to your hardware --> but I don't know how this is done)

5. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #46 Smorgan, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
    (OP)
    Hmmm I could do a walk through of the Windows Activation when a new key is put in :). This basically going to involve translating the notes I have to a research like detailing of the licensing.

@ Edition information: I usually looked at the Windows Folder for the edition information in a XML document (EG ProfessionalWMC.xml) and in the Servicing (C:\Windows\servicing\Editions).

I will take a look at expanding on the XRMS signature checking as well.

I was NOT alluding to the Upgrade Matrix in the \Windows\servicing\Editions however. I was actually referring to the entire complexity of the Software Licensing on the OS aka the entire licensing on the OS.

UPDATE: Regarding the signature protection that takes place to protect the XR-MS files I will need a bit of time to think about this. However I can say that you cannot replace the files with your own custom built files because it does some stuff to make this happen. I'll need a moment to explain this because most of the stuff I have does not detail that.

6. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    Yes. this would be pretty good.
    And with 'depth' I think about e.g. this rate of detail:
    I'm working with W7 only. All W8 I do is for the folk here as we all have better chances to receive answers while dicussion about newest/current Windows Version (more attention). But anyway nearly all things I want to discuss can be also ported to W7 or even Vista in most cases. And therefore my descriptons always relates normaly to W7. Sometimes I check with W8 but sometimes I'm to lazy as in case of the Edition Matrix. I know about the XML file you mentioned... I thought to rememeber that is located in the Folder I mentioned in my earlier post. But if it's not the case than indeed the original location of the file has to be added to my statement as well as maybe some more files/kontext related issues.

7. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Ok here is what I'll do then.

First List off what the product key stuff applies where.

Then using tools available to the XR-MS reader we can do the PkeyConfigData information.

I already mentioned the original location I thought to what you mentioned. Ummm Timebomb is a bit different however it does indeed go with the Edition Matrix located in the Servicing as it goes through the kernel of the OS.

I will see to adding the sort of detail needed.

8. neo2025

neo2025 MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2013
    Thanks so much for outlining the various methods so concisely.
    Would it be correct to assume the best method is to use a serial not yet blocked and use phone activation?
    Is there any real downside to the KMS approach???

9. Alphawaves

Alphawaves Super Moderator/Developer
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I see no mention of nonosenses activation methods? ie: slic in bootmgr/bootsect along with others???

10. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #51 Smorgan, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
    (OP)
    It's going to be ok Alphawaves haha.

I was asked to make this thread with spoiler and links stuff which I just added. Please specify all areas that are missing and I will add them! It was in my mind that non nonsense was just another loader (Opinion) please correct me if need be. The next step will be linking all of this to the Office Activation as they are so close and identical now.

UPDATE: I've added it as a sub-part of the Windows Loader category.

@ Neo2025: MDL does not advise using such an activation which is associated with Phone Activation. My Personal Stance is in line with this as well.

I have also added a downside to each of the Activation types in order to ease this issue.

11. madamimadam

madamimadam MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2012
    Thanks for all the information, it was a long read, but I have a better understanding of my system now.

12. Matce

Matce MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2013
    thanks a lot!

13. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    This thread is not complete yet. The overarching goal will be to unify all the Windows / Office threads into the thread to show the big picture. In other words this is going to be the most complex Thread I have ever done as it ties in over a dozen threads in the process. It will also show how Microsoft's licensing has changed over the years. If the relevant threads do not exist they will be typed up here in order to fill the gap.

14. Fraggy

Fraggy MDL Addicted

Jun 13, 2011
    Nice guide, I'm waiting for the kernel licensing part.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #56 Smorgan, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2013
    (OP)
    I'm thinking about expanding into the Kernel Licensing.

-Started Office Activation tie in to unify licensing on MDL forums

16. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #57 Smorgan, Oct 21, 2013
    (OP)
    How much demand would there be to dissect the Kernel Licensing?

The main issue with this is that my notes are about 90% complete on it because I don't have the Kernel Licensing cache location.

What else would you guys want to see?

17. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    Hot chicks! :smokecowboy:

18. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #59 Smorgan, Oct 21, 2013
    (OP)
    -Just Added Complex Overview of the Windows Activation

Have not decided on Kernel Licensing.

:chef:

I haz hot food lol

19. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    #60 KNARZ, Oct 21, 2013
    How does KMS activation on the Server-Host works? Also SPPSVC service, other Service?
    How do the KMS entries within the csVLK-SKUs affect the KMS. And Why has the 4. SKU more entries than the 1. (csvlk-pack-Voume-CSVLK-X...xrm-ms) --> So what does "Security-SPP-KmsCountedIDList" define (for what are the guids?)