The Windows Activation in Depth

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Smorgan, Oct 18, 2013.

1. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    oh yes :D .

2. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #102 Smorgan, Sep 24, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
    (OP)
    Bout Time I got around to answering this one lol.

Ok so in order to understand what it means to glitch out the license for windows one needs to understand how the license structure works. The license files are directly connected to the license state. This means that its like flipping a bit from 0 to 1. The glitch acts to make it so you don't get a 0 or 1 but a 2 or 3. Thus the licensing does not understand what to do with the response like when you take an already activated set of tokens and insert them into the spp directory. The slmgr.vbs /dlv will return a non-core edition error.

This means the sppsvc does not what to do so it gives an error. However on the minus side you would theoretically have to suppress all the license calls that windows does across to get away with a glitched OS not that I would know. In terms of feasibility the ease to which to do this is very difficult as its rather surprising how much of the OS is reliant on the licensing portion. In other words its doesn't work in the long run.

The difference between Glitching and an unknown license state is quite simple. One was done by accident where as the other you did on purpose.

3. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    I've gone ahead and combined all the Office repositories under one thread.

I'm also going to update all the information along with providing a look at office that is as in-depth as this is for Windows.

The main purpose of the Office Repo was to list down all the information and changes from Office 2007 licensing wise. While I attempted to poke at the licensing.

4. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    I have properly meshed the Office Repository licensing wise in with this post. This should make reading between them easier. They are highly meshed and important to each other.

5. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    #105 Smorgan, Aug 26, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2015
    (OP)
    Corrected a flaw that stated that WAT no longer existed in Windows 8+. This is a half truth at best. WAT exists as an upgrade in Windows 8+ where it was implemented at the SPPSVC level in order to form the backbone of the licensing system. It is there at a level to see that the activation system is not subverted in weird ways. In a way it exists and doesn't exist at the same time in name. The code of WAT was implemented into the SPPSVC of later versions of windows though.

UPDATE: Also updated the docx hard copy to reflect the current version. If you click the title of the op for the thread you will be linked to that copy :)

6. imgwhirl

imgwhirl MDL Novice

Jul 13, 2014
    I would like to suggest improvement to the part "activation by driver".
    if memory serves me right, driver signature enforcement (DSE) has been effective since Vista, mainly to prevent malware drivers from infecting system, & piratic drivers to copy HD media with DRM. (I don't think there is any publicly released driver that activate XP, so this argument look far-fetched to me, sorry.)

I was under the impression that ODIN uses self-written kernel driver to inject SLIC table into memory, I wonder where did you hear that it uses modified OEM driver? the driver was named oem-blablaba.sys because it exploits OEM:SLP to activate, not because of modification based on any OEM driver.

The Downside of this method is better stated as "Necessity to bypass or conform with DSE".

7. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
  8. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Also at some point I'll add Windows 10 to this thread.

When people stop pissing there pants over the privacy and licensing.

9. spinalGR

spinalGR MDL Senior Member

Oct 16, 2014
    nice infos !

10. Smorgan

Smorgan Glitcher

Mar 25, 2010
    Anything else missing in this thread? Well besides some of the Windows 10 stuff?

11. Sexy Loli

Sexy Loli MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2017
    Can you update the thread post, some of the links are dead.....or and add to it if there is something new to add...

Also the activation comparison method chart is also outdated.......

12. Chuterix

Chuterix MDL Senior Member

Apr 18, 2022
    all mediafire files are all gone including the document
    sorry for bumping

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  13. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    It's a thread started in 2015 and ended in 2015....mehdi.

14. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    That is true, but still it is a valid document and very handy as ie a reference (so I do not need to explain it)
    And somehow I did not keep a copy... (at least not anywhere I can find quickly)